jake mills asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

How long do you have to wear a retainer 24/7 after I get your braces off?

Ive had my braces for a little over 2 1/2 years. I heard I have to wear a retainer 24/7 for 6 months?!?!?! How often do i have to wear it?

Favorite Answer

My son finished braces about 3 years ago. He had to wear his retainer 24/7 for the first year and now he wears it only at night.

Since I got my braces off at the beginning the summer vacation, I wore it 24/7 for that summer, so like 2 and a half months (my orthodonist actually said to wear them 24/7 for two f ing years and I was like bro -_-) And then when school started, I didn t wear it at school but I wore it when I got home and at night. I ve been doing that for 6 months now and everything seems fine.

After i got my braces off August(2006) I had to wear them all day everyday the only time i took them off was to brush my teeth.

After a Year of wearing them August (2007) I only wore them to at night when i went to sleep.

It was annoying that i couldn't show my brand new smile without having to show that stupid retainer but it was worth it because now i have a perfect smile.

You must wear them other wise your teeth will move back to the way they used to be. Then what was the point of wearing The braces for so long? It's worth it in the end.

My advice is to ask your ortho about getting at least the bottom one permanently. You cant even see it, it's just a wire that you wont feel across the back of your bottom front teeth. It's glued on there really good so you can't feel the wire, it just feels like the backs of your teeth. I wish I had gotten my top one done that way too, because I gave up wearing it after a few months. My teeth spread some, but not completely. It can be a pain to floss if you do get them that way, but it gets easier quickly. When I can after college, I'm probably going to get invisiline or something to move my teeth back and then get a permanent top retainer.

I am the same as you.

I had my braces for 2 1/2 years as well..

my orthodontist told me he makes me wear it 24/7 for two years! and then he says one more year but only during the night. and that's it.

All the time as your teeth will move back. I used to take mine out before eating and drinking (which can be a bit embarassing so do it discretely) and obv when i brushed my teeth. If i was going out or something i wouldnt wear it just for that evening. I have had friends who didnt wear theirs like they should after they had their braces off and their teeth have gone wonky again so you really should wear all the time. Your dentist will tell you how long you need to wear it for,

• Sammy

The ortho told my sister to wear it 24/7 for 6 months..

Not that bad geeze.

it depends... you might have to wear it 24/7... i only need mine at night

and 6 months is wayyy too short. at least a couple years i think.. most dentists say your whole life but who would do that?

I think 6 months to a year, but my ortho says 2 years, i think. I haven't got mine off yet.

everyones situation is different depending on your teeth but for me, i have to wear it for like ever and you cant ever take it off.. every night before bed or it will shift back to the way it was before ..im getting my bottoms off this tuesday