Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

I don't believe in giving 10% to the leaders of any church. Am I a bad Christian?

I see how they live. Many are millionaires and they pay themselves millions before doing any missionary work. I can't justify giving them the money instead of paying myself and my family.

Favorite Answer

No, you are not bad. You are talking about the evangelicals that are robbing the people.

However, as a christian we are to tend to the poor, orphans and widows. God loves a cheerful giver. If you see someone in need, we are to try to help them.

There are a few men of God out there that I do occassionally give money to support their ministries. They don't even ask for money, they believe God will put it on our hearts to supply their needs as they teach the gospel. Just as the disciples of Christ did. They went without money to teach and their needs were met.

What they freely recieved, (the word) they are to freely give.

Matthew 10:5-10 These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand. Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give. Provide neither gold, nor silver, nor brass in your purses, Nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, nor yet staves: for the workman is worthy of his meat.

1 Corinthians 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

2 Corinthians 11:7 Have I committed an offence in abasing myself that ye might be exalted, because I have preached to you the gospel of God freely?

Acts 20:33 I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel.

Acts 20:35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

You might be interested in this ebook concerning the truth regarding tithing (tithing is not scriptural as many lie saying it is)

I believe that the 10% is supposed to go to the widows, orphans, and the poor. Many churches don't have a charity box to use for those purposes. I think all churches should have a charity box so that way if someone wants their funds to go to the widows, orphans, and the poor, then it will be used only for those purposes. I believe that if you only can give what you can, then do so, but your family needs do come first. I have seen in churches when the plate is being passed, many people don't have funds to give, which is okay and that is between them and G-d. Who knows, they might have given to something else that may help other people to eat, drink, and be clothed, or to another organization of some sort. G-d knows your heart and He knows everything that you need and have.

It is good to know before joining any church, find out where the funds go and if they are used for important purposes only. Anyway, hope this helps.

Jesus said to give 10% to God.When you tithe you are giving to God not the church.You see tithe is more about trusting God with 10% of what you make trusting that he will reward you later for trusting him,so really it has nothing to do with the church and its leaders.Many leaders of the church don't even make much money or any at all because they must cover the churches financial problems.So giving tithe will only help your family out in the end.Trust me it God really won't let you down.

"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the LORD Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it."

Source(s): Bible

Leaders of Mega Churches probably are millionaires but the 10% doesn't go to the leaders it goes to the church. (or is supposed to). Not every church leader is mega rich. Some have some trouble getting by.

I don't blame you for feeling that way. So do I. I have been around religious folks, having been one myself, for over 65 years. I now know better. It finally entered my thinking that God is love and anything that indicates in any way that He is not, I don't want to fool with or believe that. Therefore, I don't believe everything within the bible either. The ten percent deal is a farce. If you gave the church 99%, that would mean nothing to God, because the church isn't God. God already owns everything, needs no money and just wants us to love each other. The church leaders are attempting to be little God themselves and appear sanctimonious so that they will be in higher esteem to the local citizens as well as the congregation members. They don't know what to do with the money when they get it except to build bigger or more buildings, give the staff raises or spend it on more confusing missionaries. There's already enough religious confusion within the world without sending more of them to further add to the confusion. If you want to help with your money, don't give it to a church. Help somebody who really needs it, because the church does not. Peace

I have never met a Christian minister who was a millionaire. In fact, most of them that I know have to have a "real" job to pay the bills.

As to the giving of your income, Paul said this: "Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give; not reluctantly or out of compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." (II Corinthians 9:7)

If you are a Christian, you should give to the ministry that feeds your walk with Christ. How much is between you and God. If you don't give at all, why go? You cheat the body of Christ by withholding. And Christ withheld nothing to purchase your salvation. Why should you hold anything back?

P.1016 - §3 With the passing of a decade, Melchizedek organized his schools at Salem, patterning them on the olden system which had been developed by the early Sethite priests of the second Eden. Even the idea of a tithing system, which was introduced by his later convert Abraham, was also derived from the lingering traditions of the methods of the ancient Sethites.

Some are meticulous in tithing and ostentatious in almsgiving, but knowingly spurn the visitation of God and reject the revelation of his love.

This is a difficult issue to discern biblically because the Bible does not mention “special offerings” for Christian causes or parachurch Christian ministries. The Bible simply tells us to give to the Lord (1 Corinthians 16:2; 2 Corinthians 9:7). Yes, most definitely, we should be giving to the church we attend, serve at, and worship in! If a Christian believes the Lord is leading him to give 10%, does that entire 10% have to go to the church, or can it be split between the church and other Christian purposes? Sadly, the answer to this question usually breaks down based on who is responding. Churches / pastors will usually teach that the full 10% should go to the church, and any other Christian giving should be above and beyond the 10%. Christian ministries and causes usually teach that the 10% figure for giving can be divided between churches and ministries according to the Lord’s leading.

So, which view is correct? Even as a parachurch ministry, GotQuestions.org holds that a believer’s primary giving should be to his/her local church with any "additional offerings" to other Christian causes. We do not believe, though, that a believer is legalistically required to give 10% or any other set amount.The Bible instructs believers in Christ to give generously, to give cheerfully, and to give regularly. There is no biblical formula for how to split a tithe between a church and another Christian organization. If a Christian believes the tithe is binding on believers today, the 10% should go to the church (based on the storehouse principle of Malachi 3:10).

Tithing is an issue that many Christians struggle with. In many churches tithing is over-emphasized. At the same time, many Christians refuse to submit to the Biblical exhortation in regards to making offerings to the Lord. Tithing / giving is intended to be a joy, a blessing. Sadly, that is rarely the case in the church today.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. The tithe was a requirement of the law in which all Israelites were to give 10% of everything they earned and grew to the Tabernacle / Temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites of the sacrificial system. The New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. Paul states that believers should set aside a portion of their income in order to support the church (1 Corinthians 16:1-2).

The New Testament nowhere assigns a certain percentage of income to set aside, but only says it is to be “in keeping with his income” (1 Corinthians 16:2). The Christian church has essentially taken the 10% figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving. Although the New Testament does not identify a specific amount or percentage to give, it does talk about the importance and benefits of giving. They should give as they are able, “in keeping with his income.” Sometimes that means giving more than a tithe, sometime that may mean giving less than a tithe. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the church. Each and every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom as to whether to participate in tithing and/or for how much he or she should give (James 1:5). “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).

Hope this Helped God bless \o/

Further, if a believer prayerfully decides to give 10% in offerings, we believe he/she can give as the Spirit leads him/her; i.e., 8% to their church and 2% to other Christian causes. What matters is that believers make sacrificial financial offerings to God’s work, wherever and in whatever way He leads. Believers should pray for wisdom in regard to how much and to whom God would have them make their offerings.

• BK

You aren't a "bad Christian" at all but perhaps a misguided one.

Your tithe isn't to the church leaders... more than anything it is an issue of sacrifice from your heart through your wallet... an act of love and worship to God through money... which is hard to part with. But God, making his only promise to do so, says put me to the test to bless you back and he always does.

The church leaders are just men too... what they do with the money, what you do with your 10%, what I do with my 10%, is between each of us and God.

I know I get financial security and blessing that always is greater than what I give.

Many television evangelists have given this impression. Sadly, many donations sent to them sincerely are misused. The Bible tells us to tithe 10% of our earnings. This is a gift unto God, not to church leaders. A church has to be run to some degree as a business; bills such as electricity, water, staff salaries, etc. God loves us all the same, good or bad, if we are truly his children, but He promises to bless our obedience. I give the tithe as a gift to Him, knowing that all I have comes from HIm. Unless there is some grotesque evidence of misconduct, I will continue, as a gesture of faith in Him.