Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesDenver · 1 decade ago

My 84yr Mom is coming to visit me in Denver, are there any Gondola (boat) or scenic train tours?

Any other good (inexpensive or free) tours or concerts recommendations would be appreciated.

Best Answer

Gondola (boats)? Those are in Venice, Italy! I don't think there's anything similar anyplace else in the world.

Scenic train rides? Georgetown Loop, I don't think anyone has mentioned yet...about an hour west, runs between Georgetown and Silverplume.

I think there's something that runs to Winter Park. It might not run in the summer time. I think it's called the Ski Train.

There's a train tour in Leadville. and the one in Durango-Silverton is a bit far for you.

The cog railway at Pike's Peak.

Bring a sweater for any of these.

And there's a funicular (not quite the same thing) in the Royal Gorge area.

If by Gondola you meant the trams that bring skiers to the tops of mountains, there is one in Breckenridge, which I believe runs in the summer time. One in Keystone, which I know they run in the summertime for bikers and hikers and people who just want to wander around and get mountain-top views (then you ride back down). And at Vail, and I believe Beaver Creek, as well. I don't pretend to know how much they charge. It isn't as much as a full-day ski pass, though. I think it might be about $20 per person in Keystone. Always an art or music festival during summer weekends in Keystone. check their website or call.

There's the Georgetown Scenic railroad. In Georgetown.

The Cog Railroad to the top of Pikes Peak. (Col. Springs)

You can always drive through Rocky Mountain National Park.

Drive through the Garden of the Gods also in the Springs.

Also Red Rocks.

Hey be sure your mom is doing OK at altitude. Especially moving up into the mountains.

peak to peak highway ... but get htere soon before it snows!