Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 decade ago

Which language is easier to learn - Russian or Japanese?

Russian and Japanese are the two main language I'd like to learn. Obviously, you can only focus on one at a time for maximum chance of success, and to prevent myself from being too daunted, I'd like to start with the one that is a bit easier - even if there isn't much in it, as there is no language that is easy to learn, just some that are easier than others.

I know as far as reading and writing goes, Japanese is harder than Russia because Russian only uses one phonetic Cyrillic script, while Japanese uses 2 individual phonetic scripts, Hirigana, and Katakana along said Kanji, which are the individual Chinese symbols that represent one word, so, reading and writing Russian is clearly simpler.

But which language is easier to speak grammatically? Which language would a native speaker of English pick-up the quickest? I'm told Russian grammar is more complex than Japanese? Is this true? On the whole, which language do you think is easier?

Also, which of the two languages do you prefer, and which language do you think is most worth learning as far as job prospects go, both languages have roughly the same amount of speakers.

Favorite Answer

What a question ... of course Russian is much easier.

Definitely Japanese will be much harder. Russian - despite the different alphabet - is an Indo-European language: the same language family as English. There are lots of difficulties: for instance, case endings and inflections (words that take different forms according to grammatical context). But the overall grammar and word order is not so different in style from English, and Russian borrows extensively from French, so quite a lot of nouns will be familiar. Japanese is in a very different language family. Virtually everything will be unfamiliar: writing system, grammar, vocabulary, a complex set of honorifics (very different forms depending on relative status of you and the person you're speaking to), different forms depending on gender ... and more.

Japanese is very hard with grammar and uses a modified version of Traditional Chinese. Russian has shorter words and uses Cyrillic Alphabet. But in terms of job opportunities, Japanese wins. In my opinion, Mandarin is easier with grammar, and the future is there. Meanwhile Russia is stuck in the past invading an old state (Georgia). You decide anyway.

Japanese: Konnichiwa, ogenki desu ka? Watashi wa genki desu. Ashita wa sakana o tabemasu.

Mandarin: Ni hao, ni hao ma? Wo hao. Mingtian, wo yao chifan yu

Source(s): If your going to learn Mandarin, here's a good website/dictionary http://www.1jn.com/chinese/engchi.html

I am Russian myself, I a have been in US for 5 years when I came over here I did not know any English, It helped me to learn English because I new my language which is Russian, because we have a lot of the same letters and words, so from my own opinion i would recommend you to learn Russian. But you can try both and see which one you are more comfortable.

Learn Russian . it is spread on a wider spectrum of land and people . it has more influence than Japanese due to the fact that it is spoken widely in eastern block countries .

In my opinion Russian is much easier.