Which language is easier to learn - Russian or Japanese?

Russian and Japanese are the two main language I'd like to learn. Obviously, you can only focus on one at a time for maximum chance of success, and to prevent myself from being too daunted, I'd like to start with the one that is a bit easier - even if there isn't much in it, as there is no language that is easy to... show more Russian and Japanese are the two main language I'd like to learn. Obviously, you can only focus on one at a time for maximum chance of success, and to prevent myself from being too daunted, I'd like to start with the one that is a bit easier - even if there isn't much in it, as there is no language that is easy to learn, just some that are easier than others.

I know as far as reading and writing goes, Japanese is harder than Russia because Russian only uses one phonetic Cyrillic script, while Japanese uses 2 individual phonetic scripts, Hirigana, and Katakana along said Kanji, which are the individual Chinese symbols that represent one word, so, reading and writing Russian is clearly simpler.

But which language is easier to speak grammatically? Which language would a native speaker of English pick-up the quickest? I'm told Russian grammar is more complex than Japanese? Is this true? On the whole, which language do you think is easier?

Also, which of the two languages do you prefer, and which language do you think is most worth learning as far as job prospects go, both languages have roughly the same amount of speakers.