Tries asked in 社會與文化語言 · 1 decade ago

文法 架構

In recent days, Polish leaders have said the fighting in the Caucasus justified Poland's demands it get additional security guarantees from the U.S. in exchange for allowing the antimissile base on its soil.

如何懂 其 文法 架構

主要動詞是 justified 嗎 ? demands 是 名詞吧 (Polish's demands)

亦或 主詞 是 the fighting 主要動詞是 demands ;若是 ,那 ...the fighting in the Caucasus justified Poland's ... 意指 .... the fighting in the Caucasus justified Poland's fighting and the fighting in the Caucasus demands Poland that it should get additional security.....

譯文正確? : 近日 波蘭領袖提到 , 高加索戰役改變了波蘭的做戰方式, 促使波蘭必須以在其境內置放反飛彈基地 和 美國交換 更多的 安全保障 .

請 教 您 , get 為何沒加 s .

Rating
  • Kevin
    Favorite Answer

版主您好:

這個句子省略了兩個連接詞, 或許因而造成閱讀上的困擾. 完整寫法:

In recent days, Polish leaders have said THAT the fighting in the Caucasus justified Poland's demands THAT it get additional security guarantees from the U.S. in exchange for allowing the antimissile base on its soil.

波蘭的領導階層在最近指出, 由於高加索地區的戰事, 使得波蘭有足夠的理由要求以同意在其境內設置反飛彈基地來換取更多來自美國的安全防衛承諾.

這兩個[that]所引導的, 都是名詞子句. 第一個代表[Polish leaders]所說的內容; 第二個則是[Poland's demands]的"同位語", 也就是其(波蘭)所要求的內容.

全句分為三層.

最外層(主要子句):

[In recent days, Polish leaders have said XXX.]

第二層(XXX)=

[The fighting in the Caucasus justified Poland's demands.]

第三層(demands)=

[It(=Poland) gets additional security guarantees from the U.S. in exchange for allowing the antimissile base on its soil.]

最外層應該是沒有太大問題的, 就跟下面這句的結構相當:

Yesterday Tom said (that) he got good news.

第二層與第三層要一起講. 首先, 或許您知道有這樣的句型:

The leader suggests that Steven do his best tomorrow.

The committee required that personal information be protected.

這些表達"建議, 主張, 要求, 命令..."等語氣的動詞, 用以上這種"名詞子句"方式呈現時, 子句內的動詞用"原形" (也有人說是其前面省略了助動詞[should]).

有時候, 這些語氣的表達並不是直接用動詞, 而是以"名詞"的形式:

I agree with the leader on his suggestion that Steven do his best tomorrow.

The committee's requirement that personal information be protected is more than reasonable.

這也是為什麼問題句中, [get]沒有加[s]的原因.

並不是印刷錯誤喔! ^_^

2008-08-17 22:56:10 補充:

Hi Elisa,

Thanks for the information you provide.

I know the difference in usage between AE and BE, but the example you quoted:

2008-08-17 22:56:20 補充:

Studies Suggest Eating Garlic Does Protect Against Cancers.

is not a candidate for the useage in discussion, for here the verb means more like "indicate/show evidence" rather than "demand/assert," which would be what makes the subjunctive mood applicable.

2008-08-18 00:40:09 補充:

Yes.

http://209.85.175.104/search?q=cache:uVMWxw4FtQgJ:...

2008-08-19 12:55:45 補充:

主詞是Polish leaders

主要動詞是[have said]

受詞是[The fighting in the Caucasus justified Poland's demands.]這個名詞子句.

• Elisa

Basically, I think that it is a typo. The word should be "to" instead of "it".

the fighting in the Caucasus justified Poland's demands to get additional security guarantees

2008-08-17 14:57:30 補充:

Sometimes, you can find typos in newspapers.

2008-08-17 21:27:14 補充:

Hi, Kevin.

Good explanation for introducing the subjunctive verb. That did cross my mind. I probably should check out some more references before I made the comments.

Oh, by the way, I found an English discussing this usage. See http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=94...

2008-08-17 21:27:50 補充:

This might be the reason that I have doubt. I learned both British and American English and I picked up some grammars from each. I didn’t know that there is a difference in grammar between them.

2008-08-17 21:28:13 補充:

Check out this site. http://www.webmd.com/news/20001004/studies-suggest...

"Studies Suggest Eating Garlic Does Protect Against Cancers."

2008-08-17 21:28:45 補充:

So it is right to say “their demands that it get ..” in American English and “their demands that it gets ..” in British English.

2008-08-17 21:33:34 補充:

Since this was a report from America, I can see now why they used the word "get" instead of "gets".

There is always something new to learn each day.

2008-08-17 21:50:07 補充:

By the way, this is another website that talks about subjective verbs if anyone is interested. It is more commonly used in American English than in British English.

http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/subjunctiv...

2008-08-17 23:22:52 補充:

Hi Kevin

Yes, you are right. That is not the right example.

The right example should be:

She has demanded that the machinery undergoes vigorous tests to ensure high quality. (used in British English)

2008-08-17 23:23:09 補充:

She has demanded that the machinery should undergo vigorous tests to ensure high quality. (used in British English)

主詞是: Polish leaders <-複數喔.

動詞是: have said <-過去完成式.

受詞是: the fighting.the fighting 後所接的語意是補充說明,去補充形容這個 fighting.

The fighting justifed Poland's demands.

現在假想 fighting 是個新的主詞,justified 就是動詞啦(justify的過去式),強化、合理化了波蘭的需求。

(它有個專有名詞啦,叫什麼形容詞補語之類的,管他的)

it get additional security guarantees from the USA in exchange for allowing the antimissile base on its soil.

不知這高加索的這場 fighting和 security guarantees的前後因果關係為何,Poland就讓美國在波蘭的領土設反飛彈基地來獲得美國在安全上的幫助。

P.S.

it 這個代名詞應該指的是Poland啦(我認為這裡原文有點小小的瑕疵),因為 it 之前的名詞有四個: Polish leaders, the fighting, Caucasus and Poland's demands。it 是單數,所以就不可能指的是 Polish leaders and Poland's demands,it 應指的是Poland藉由這個fighting 而獲得美方幫助吧。

2008-08-17 13:46:23 補充:

嗯 沒錯沒錯 應該是

In recent days, Polish leaders have said the fighting in the Caucasus justified Poland's demands, it gets additional security guarantees from the U.S. in exchange for allowing the antimissile base on its soil.

it前要加逗號,get 要加 s

Source(s): me