Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

gestational diabetes..low blood sugars..38 weeks pregnant?

hey was just wondering if anyone had any advice i'm 38 weeks pregnant and have gestational diabetes..I'm on insulin to keep my blood sugars down..but at the moment I'm having trouble getting them in normal range as they are to low..I'm not sure if low blood sure if low blood sugar during pregnancy is bad..all my doctor has ever spoken about is if they are high.. just wondering if this is something i should be concerned about..its sunday afternoon here so going to the doctor isn't really an option

all my blood sugars today have been under 4.5mml no matter what i have eaten..im in Australia so im not sure if t is measured the same as the US.. but ive been really shakey all day

Favorite Answer

Hang on, to be clear, low blood sugars do NOT harm your baby. High blood sugars absolutely can harm your baby, but lows do not.

You're probably not on the US measuring system but my endocrinologist told me not to treat a low blood sugar unless it went under 60. I'm a diabetic all the time, not just when pregnant, and that's lower than what is normal for a diabetic. Lower blood sugars are natural in pregnancy. Women who aren't diabetic have naturally lowered blood sugars and they want gestational diabetics to emulate what happens to other women as closely as possible.

What kind of numbers are you talking about? How low is low?

If you do have a low blood sugar, here is how you treat it: take 15 carbohydrates worth of fast sugar, such as 4 oz of orange juice or sugary soda. Then eat something that is a carb plus protein, such as a peanut butter sandwich. If you're really low you might have to repeat the OJ. However, you don't want your sugar to go too high so you need to monitor before you take more of the OJ. You should see your sugar go up in about 15-20 minutes from the orange juice, and the sandwich is to help keep it up so it doesn't drop further.

Edit: Sorry it's hours later, I'm in the us and it's morning here for me now.

4.5 mmol/l = 81 mg/dl in my measurements, so by my endocrinologist's instructions you are not low enough to treat it. I emphathize totally - I hate the feeling of low sugars!

There's something else to consider. When you have had high blood sugars for a while, you "feel" a low blood sugar at a higher place than you would if your sugars had been normal. The fact that you're feeling low at about 80 means you probably had high sugars for a while. It's not dangerously low, it's completely within normal range. It just feels low because your sugars were previously too high.

60 mg/dl = 3.33333 mmol/l - that's the bottom of the range that my doctor gave me. Granted, that definitely feels low to me and I have treated a sugar at 64. But you do have some breathing room and you should expect to feel a little wonky until your system is used to running on lower sugars - lower but completely normal and healthy blood sugars.

The key if you're having lows is to keep testing. Test right before you eat and 1 hour after. If you're only testing 1 hour after you're not seeing your blood sugar at its lowest. It could be starting at about 80 and ending at about 80 (this happens sometimes) or it could be starting way lower and ending up there. So test both times. Good luck, and hopefully you can speak to your doctor soon.

1

Source(s): Destroy Diabetes Starting Today - http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?upJk

2

Source(s): #1 Diabetes Cure System : http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?zCxG

3

I'm a 45 year old woman and was recently diagnosed as being a borderline diabetic. My doctor prescribed some medication, but before filling it I decided to do some research on the internet which led me to the methods. After reading this ebook and applying the methods, my scepticism turned to 100% belief. I noticed that my energy levels increased significantly and I felt more rested in the morning, my symptoms started going away.

I am very happy to tell you that I have been feeling better than I have felt in years and my doctor informed me that he will be taking me off my prescriptions if I keep this up.

I recommend you use the Type 2 Diabetes Destroyer to naturally reverse your diabetes.

im diabetic and have had a healthy baby. it depends on how low your sugars are but low sugars are not bad for your baby, high sugars are what causes birth defects and the baby to have blood sugar probs when born. if your sugars go too low obviously it could be bad for you cuz you could pass out but a pregnant womans sugars are supposed to be a lil lower than normal a good range for you is 60-100 and 120 2 hours after you eat, if they are lower than that treat with juice or sugary liquid asap, if they are really low caffeine free soda works good like sprite or 7up and if it continues back off on the insulin little by little(keeping in touch with your doctor)

Doctors Reverse Diabetes Without Drugs - http://Diabetes.neatprim.com

• OK let me answer, my twin sister is a diabetic type 1. Low blood sugar levels (BSL) are just as bad as high ones. now if u are under 5 bsl that's bad. eat some jelly beans (about 5) then eat something healthy, (eg. toast.) Try to eat a healthy balanced diet.

Source(s): Diabetic sister

There is a lot of stuff on the internet that is basically fat-shaming diabetics for causing their own diabetes with their bad diet and lack of exercise and general lack of moral fibre. A lot of this stuff is written by non-doctors, often with a supplement or diet or training plan to sell that they claim will completely cure diabetes if only people stick to it.

I read this interesting book https://tr.im/wH1y5 that gave me a lot of useful tips about my disease and also a different perspective on the best therapeutical approach. I think you should read it too.

Diabetics can eat anything a non-diabetic can eat. You just have to make an adjustment for carbs/sugars. Learn here https://tr.im/bAhoA

It is better for diabetics to eat slow burning carbs: potatoes, peanut butter, vegetables, breads, dairy products, etc. VS. fast burning carbs: candy, sugared soda, cakes, ice cream, anything high in sugar. Just know what your carb/insulin ratios (how much insulin you have to give yourself for the amount of carbs you are intaking) are. Adjust according to the amount of carbs(sugars) you are intaking. And, you should be fine. Natural sugars are better than processed sugars.