Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicSinging · 1 decade ago

singing: proper breathing (diaphragm, breath control, breath support),breathing&vocal exercises,warm-ups,tips?

I've always wanted a nice voice after quitting singing when I had my awful voice change. I used to sing okay when I was a child (pre-voice change) but I don't really know the proper way of breathing, etc...

I'm willing to learn everything. (I'm a girl btw)

1. I know this has been asked a lot but, how do I properly breath when singing? How do I properly breath using the diaphragm? Anything about proper breathing in singing would help a lot.

2. Can you suggest some breathing and vocal exercises I can do? (I have a keyboard so I can use it on some exercises if ever it requires)

3. How do you warm-up?

4. Tips for "beginner"'s like me please! Some things that would be helpful! :)

Thank you!

oh, and some people say that you should inhale from your nose AND your mouth? what do they mean by that?

Best Answer

I'm by no means a master, but I did a huge, year-long project on this! Hope it helps!!!

Proper breathing should always be supported breathing. This means you shouldn't put any stress on your throat! If your throat hurts when you sing, you're probably straining to hit the note, using proper breath support. The easiest way to train yourself to breathe properly is to practice in a fairly large mirror. When you breathe, you want to use your diaphragm! When you do this properly, your shoulders shouldn't move like when you do "chest breathing." That's where the mirror comes in handy.

The way I learned to breathe with my diaphragm was first watching someone while they sleep (creepy, I know!) When we sleep, we automatically use the diaphragm. When you breathe in, the area between your stomach and your ribs should extend outwards, and when you breathe out, it should move inwards.

Here are a few exercises to try and really hone in on the breathing technique!

1. Pretend that you're sipping air through a straw. You'll really be able to feel the diaphragm moving!

2. Use the first exercise while holding an innertube around yourself. You'll be able to feel your diaphragm and ribs extending out against the sides. If you don't have an innertube, you can lay down on your front on top of an exercise ball! (Hint: When you breathe well with your diaphragm, you should feel extension in your back as well!)

3. When singing and/or warming up, wrap your hands below your ribs on each side to monitor your breath-support.

Scales are the best way to warm-up. You always want to make sure that your vocal chords are hydrated and clear of phlegm! To get rid of phlegm healthily (clearing your throat isn't necessarily healthy) try humming! It's a safe way to do it! Arpeggios are my favorite way to warm-up. It's simply going up and down the keys of the piano in different patterns, and simply using the sounds La-le-lee-lo-loo to sing with. Of course lip-trills are also fantastic for warm-ups! To find more exercises, you can check out a couple books on the Bel Canto technique (the Italian technique) for singing. It's the more predominantly used, and more smiled upon technique for singing. It's less guttural and less stressful on the voice than the German or English techniques.

Some simple heath tips. Smoking is a no-no. Belting all the time isn't great for your voice. It can lead to vocal nodes and polyps, which have a long and sometimes indefinite recovery time (AKA no singing at all)! Some people argue that drinking caffeine and other citrus drinks are bad for your chords, but that's generally right before singing.

Hope that answered most of your question. This is my favorite subject to gab about!

1

Source(s): Professional Singer Tips http://sparkindl.info/SuperiorSingingCourse

Breathing exercise, and breathing during singing,,,, instead of flexing your diaphragm out to inhale, and then relaxing on the exhale, do the opposite. Push your diaphragm into your body to exhale, and then relax to make the inhale. This helps strengthen your diaphragm, and develops the technique you need to keep breath pressure up while you sing. Keeping the pressure up helps keep your notes from becoming flat when you are tailing off your breath.

Excellent exercise and warm up is the old standard, ME, MAY, MA, MO, and MU,,, on any note progression you like. Then take it up a step or down a step, depending. The real trick is to imagine a string pulling your mouth open, from top to bottom. Imagine an oval, like the number zero. If you let your mouth go wide, or flat, you get that EEEEEE sound that so many starting singers have.

Remember, loud and high is not the goal of singing,,,, it's on pitch, with good annunciation. Once you have the proper annunciation, and you build some strength in your voice, then you can think about "STYLING".... for now, while learning, keep it basic.

Practice 3 to 4 times a day, 10 minutes to start. Then work up to longer and longer sessions, and cut the sessions down to 2 per day.

Have fun, and relax.

2

• rhynes

Breath Support Exercises

The best type of breathing is medium-low support. While you definitely don't want to be breathing up top (raising your shoulders with each breath), many people don't support properly up top. The best way of breathing while singing is to keep the upper part of you expanded (not so extremely that it feels unnatural, but a good amount). Your sternum should be fairly high. Then, with that part controlled, you bring your breath in low (feeling the lungs expand around every part of you, even your back). Then, your can (to some extent) control how your breath flows out from your gut/stomach). Once you're out of air, the air should simply flow back in like a vacuum (due to the diaphragm) if you are keeping your ribcage expanded like you should. It takes a lot of practice, but with time, you should find that you feel more supported when you sing. Some good exercises to practice this includes lying on the floor and breathing low, keeping your ribcage expanded and feeling the breath all around you (even in the muscles in your back) as you breath low, then standing up and trying to feel the same thing while standing. Then, some really good exercises include trying to 'breath through a straw' (just pretending that you were only able to let out that much air) or doing ff-ss-ch-ch-ch, which also helps you control the amount of air you let out and helps you practice breathing in correctly. All in all, the best thing you can do is also to consult a vocal coach or choir director. They can help show you better (in person) that you're doing it correctly or incorrectly and give you tips. Hope it helps! Good luck with your singing!

3

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

1. I know this has been asked a lot...

Source(s): singing proper breathing diaphragm breath control breath support breathing vocal exercises warm ups tips: https://shortly.im/myb1n

To learn quickly how to sing I suggest to follow a good online course. here is the best course that I did :

http://www.goobypls.com/r/rd.asp?gid=541

I can help you with jus some advidce but anyway I reccomend to follow that course. I think that singing is an inbuilt part of the human mind and soul. For countless years the act of singing has been at the forefront of art, religion, social changes and of course love. We all have a desire to let flow with a burst of air and noise that lifts the soul and transports an emotive message be it from the screaming energetic rock anthem to the operatic tones of more studied precise singers. We are not all born with a natural talent though but with practice anyone can take their instinctual desire to sing and become very good at it. Here are some tips for a better singing voice that can help you professionally, at the karaoke bar or even in the shower for your own enjoyment! One mistake many singers make is to hold their breath while singing instead of letting the air flow through them. If you hold your breath tight you can never achieve a natural sound nor will you be able to achieve any great volume and it makes hitting the right tone harder as well. To combat this you must learn diaphragmatic breathing. This means you must breathe in to the lower part of your lungs by breathing deep and not shallow. This is not the same as belly breathing but should press out on your lower ribcage as you breathe in. There are many breathing exercises you can learn to help you achieve this such as lying down and placing a hand on the upper chest and a hand on the lower chest under the ribcage. When you breathe in the hand on the upper chest should not move and the hand on the lower chest should go up and down. Mirrors are great devices to help you improve your singing voice. By singing in front of a mirror you can watch your posture, your facial contortions and your breathing and determine what is and is not working. Try changing your posture and the way you use your face and mouth when you sing in front of a mirror and listen to the different sounds you make as you experiment. You will be surprised what straightening your back or opening your mouth wider can do to your voice once you see these things in the mirror.

I hope that the website I suggested could help you!

I don't know much about singing, but I do know a lot about breathing b/c I play a wind instrument and do a lot of breathing warm ups and such.

1. yeah, you don't really want to get air just from your chest, but get down to your diaphragm. breathe in deeply and hold it for a moment, make sure your filled up with air and let it go. do this a few times and it should stretch your diaphragm so you can get more air.

2. what I do to hold out a long note is [it may sound silly, but it works!] is take a tissue and put it up to the wall. blow on it and hold it there for as long as you can, this will build strength in breathing. um, as for the vocal exercises, run up and down scales, or, sing your favorite song. just get warmed up, you know?

3. refer to the last one :]

4. well, I read in a magazine that before Rhianna performs, she eats a spoonful of honey, she said it coats your throat to make it nice and smooth.