who started the war in georgia?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

The people of S.O. started it. We helped them along a lil bit.

So in a way, the USA is at fault also.

But Russia did what the US would do in the same situation. As did Georgia. Nobody is wrong. We all are wrong.

• 1 decade ago

Simple answer - Russia

But of course there's more to it than that. I won't go on a tirade like the dude quoting the bigot Pat Buchanan, but I will agree that the U.S. allows Israel to get away with WAY too much.

Russia is having internal problems because they used to be hot stuff as the Soviet Union. With the break-up of the Soviet Union, Russia is literally a shadow of their former selves. To make things worse, former Warsaw Pact countries and former Soviet states are now members of NATO putting them right on the border of Russia. So not only did the Soviet Union collapse, but now their former enemy is right on their doorstep, with even more countries in line for NATO membership (Ukraine and Georgia). So as a result, many in Russia want a return to the good 'ole days, hence Putin (ex-KGB) becomes President and now Prime Minister (but he's still the one running the country).

Contrary to what many believe on here, South Ossetia and Abkhazia is recognized by the international community as being part of Georgia (except Russia...imagine that). The discussion of the amount of military force that Georgia used to cease hostilities is another issue, but the situation was made worse by Russia. Russia not only annexed South Ossetia, but also installed a puppet government in the region. By the way, the president of South Ossetia, Eduard Kokoity, who was a memeber of the USSR national wrestling team and the secretary of the Young Communist League. Other members of government were in the Soviet Army and FSB (Federal Security Service, the Russian version of the Soviet KGB and NKVD), so there's an obvious Russian connection there. In addition, Russia issued Russian passports to people in South Ossetia, much like what the Nazis did in the Sudetenland that gave them the excuse they needed to invade Czechoslovakia. In Abkhazian, the situation is similiar with the pro-Russian president Sergei Bagapsh.

It's pretty damn obvious to anyone with common sense to figure out that because of the large number of Russian tanks, APCs, other vehicles, aircraft, and personnel, that Russian had been planning the invasion of Georgia for several months. They used the Georgian offensive in South Ossetia, something they obviously knew was coming, as an excuse to invade.

So why did Russia invade? Because this December NATO is going to meet and decide who will be the new NATO members, and it's agreed by many that both Georgia and the Ukraine, Russia's next target, will be NATO members. Yes, I did say that the Ukraine will be Russia's next target. Why? The same reason they invaded Georgia...to scare them.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/08/17/europe/17uk...

"In Ukraine, fear of being a resurgent Russia's next target"

I'm genuinely confused why there's so many people on here that feel that Georgia is the one at fault and that Russia had the right to invade while the rest of society, at least in the U.S., correctly feel that Russia is the aggressor.

• 1 decade ago

Georgia started using heavy weapon against South Ossetian on 8 August.

Georgia was filmed firing rockets into South Ossetia on 8 August

Any Ossetian will confirm it, did you saw that Fox News interview with 12 year old Ossetian girl?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

As far as I see it, Georgia started the war. Russia responded a little too brutally, but Russia is still in the right. Thumbs me down all you want, but you know Georgia started it. It's pretty much over, and we can not afford to get involved in another large scale war, so we must NOT attack Russia. Leave them to their business.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Havoc
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I thought Georgia did in the battle of Tskhinvali when they bombard the city and crossed the border into South Ossetia.

• 1 decade ago

Go to the link below. It's an excellent collection of questions and answers about this situation and explains how things got started with the Georgian armed forces moving into South Ossetia.

• 1 decade ago

It's easy, you look at who started shooting first, who has bombed the others cities, and who has tanks and troops occupying the other country. None of those are Georgia.

• Lee D
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I started it! You wana make something of it? Seriously; read buchanans answer above.

• 1 decade ago

Russia has been provoking the Georgians for some time now.

• Irv S
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Those "separatists" probably had Russian encouragement before

the event as well as backing after it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.