Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What must happen if a non-catholic christian and a catholic wish to get married?

My family are all Non-Catholic Christians, and a relative of mine wishes to marry a Catholic. Does she have to convert to Catholicism? Or can they get married if they have permission from his church/priest?

BUT...... i've been researching all over the internet, and i've found several catholic priests that say she would either have to convert to Catholism or he must get permission to marry from the church

ToddG ------ What do you mean "donation"? How big of a donation?

Best Answer

The Catholic Church allows marriage between Catholics and non-Catholics.

Because the Church recognizes the tremendous challenge that the interfaith couple will face, they may have to get permission from the bishop.

For more information, see the Catechism of the Catholic Church, sections 1633-1637: http://www.usccb.org/catechism/text/pt2sect2chpt3a...

With love in Christ.

• Daver

<<What must happen if a non-catholic christian and a catholic wish to get married?>>

They must receive the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony if they want to be married.

<<My family are all Non-Catholic Christians, and a relative of mine wishes to marry a Catholic. Does she have to convert to Catholicism?>>

No, she will not have to convert to Catholicism, though the Church will strongly recommend that the wedding take place in the Catholic Church.

<<Or can they get married if they have permission from his church/priest?>>

Every couple, even when both are Catholic, must seek approval from the priest who oversees the Sacrament.

<< BUT...... i've been researching all over the internet, and i've found several catholic priests that say she would either have to convert to Catholism or he must get permission to marry from the church>>

No, conversion is not necessary - but the wedding must take place in the Catholic Church.

<<ToddG ------ What do you mean "donation"? How big of a donation?>>

Not that I read his answer but I bet he thinks that, if you give the Church some money, they'll let you get away with anything, or something like that.

The Church will ask the married couple for a charitable donation to the Church. If the couple has a problem giving charity to the Church, they may make a donation to the charity of their choice instead.

based on 8 years of Catholic school, here goes: 1. no 2. the church would ask the Methodist to allow the children to be raised as Catholics 3. yes, same rules as answer #2 4. yes, the Catholic church allow only 1 Catholic marriage /person, possibly more depending on complex annulment rules that I don't understand. Marriages in other churches don't count against the 1 you're allowed 5. yes, a Catholic relative could hold your funeral in a Catholic church. If neither you nor any relatives are Catholic it is hard to imagine wanting a catholic service but it's probably possible 6. Go to any christian congregation and ask for a christening. The Catholic church will encourage but not require the parents to be christened. I don't know other christian groups' requirements Good questions, keep asking

They will need to speak to the Priest, attend Pre-Cana instruction and agree to raise any children of the marriage as Catholics. This is if they wish to marry in the Catholic Church or at least have the Churches approval. As for the 'donation' I know of several mixed marriages and some in my own family and none paid anything like that.

• Kate

He would definatly have to get Church permission. It's called a dispensation. She would have to agree to raise the children Catholic, but does not have to convert.

The donation thing must only apply outside Catholic churches. I married an atheist in the Catholic Church and it cost absolutely NOTHING more than it cost a Catholic couple we know.

Neither one. She doesn't have to convert to Catholicism, and he doesn't need the Catholic Church's permission. This assumes they're marrying in her non-Catholic Church.

I'm not a Catholic but my wife is and we were married in a German Orthodox church. I didn't have to convert but I did have to "donate" a sum of money. It must've worked because we've been married for 10 years now.

They have to marry in the Catholic Church.

Source(s): My father(Anglican)married my Catholic mother in a Catholic Church.

If the Church insist she convert then don't have a Church wedding go to a registry office.

If you're interested, this is a popular forum for Catholic Christians, you may find more answers here...

http://christianforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26