Was Elliott Smith the greatest loss to music since John Lennon?

First of all, does anyone actually know who Elliott Smith is?

Best Answer

I certainly think so. True, perhaps he was not as influential to such a large number of people as Lennon was, but I think that for the people that he did influence, he had a larger impact on them. Both lyrically and instrumentally, Elliott was a genius; I think the best singer/songwriter that I have ever heard, and as many people have pointed out, he was not as exceptionally well-known, which is why I think that he is the greatest loss to music since Lennon. Had he been around a bit longer, I can't even imagine what more he might have done. I mean, FROM A BASEMENT ON THE HILL was supposed to be a double-LP, rumored to be 30 tracks. Obviously, not all of those appeared on the actual release (and, admittedly, most of the other songs that have would have been on the double have surfaced), but think of how amazing and epic a 30 track double-album from Elliott Smith would have been! And after that, oh man, I can't even imagine. I mean, think how far he had come since ROMAN CANDLE and how much his sound had evolved and grown and progressed. If Smith wouldn't have died, I don't even know where he would have taken his sound next, but I am sure that it would have been somewhere that would have certainly cemented him as one of the greatest musical artists of all time. Though this obviously wasn't meant to be (and perhaps Elliott would have preferred it this way), I can't help but think what could have been, and because of this, I would have to say that he is the greatest loss to music since Lennon for certain, and one of the greatest losses ever. XO

No, but I would say one of the greatest losses since Lennon. I can name a few others that damaged music with their passing just as much. At least with Elliott Smith we got a nice portion of material as opposed to say, Jeff Buckley.

Again, significant loss....but there are alot of others to be mentioned as well. Brad Nowell and D. Boon were huge losses to music too. The list goes on and on.

Edit: People always interpret questions the way they want to, not how it was asked.

The question was: Was Elliott Smith the greatest loss to music since John Lennon.

The question wasn't: Who's a greater loss to music, John Lennon or Elliott Smith.

Reading is gold.

Elliot Smith was a terrible loss, but not a John Lennon loss. If you wanted to argue that, you would also have to include Jeff Buckley in the argument, and I think he has a better chance of matching Lennon. The problem is, neither was known enough to make as much of an impact, and we've been losing great artists like that forever (Nick Drake, Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin, etc, etc.) Just my take on the subject.

Also, I guess to answer your question, yes, I know who Elliot Smith is.

I'm a little curious, are you comparing his death as a murder or as a loss before it's time? Mostly curious from the point of the debatable nature of Smith's death.

As far as popularity, Lennon definitely wins in that department. Elliott Smith was a huge loss to music, but only to a select part of music. Lennon appealed to more people and was more well known and influential, so his death was a greater loss, I think.

• Jeff

Lol, if they don't, it's a shame.

Since John Lennon?

Maybe since Freddie Mercury

Had Elliott Smith been around ten more years, I'm sure he would've eventually been HUGE. Not like fat, but famous...

Though it was a loss, no he is not the greatest since John lennon..

Freddie Mercury

George Harrison

Dimebag Darrell

Cliff Burton

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Kurt Cobain

Johnny Cash

and sadly there is many many more....

No I don't. Sorry. I really loved John Lennon though, I wouldn't know who could compete with him.

... I feel really bad...

Who's Elliott Smith?

Never heard of him.

no. nobody knows who elliot smith is, everyone knows who john lennon is.

i dont care for either of them though.