tolstoi1 asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

How fast does a baseball travel ?

A pitcher can throw a hardball at 100 mph (roughly).

A hitter can add at least the same energy swinging a bat with two arms.

If the ball leaves the bat at 200 mph is that enough speed and energy to be a homerun?

How much velocity is required for a homerun in a typical ballpark?

How much speed is lost to friction with air?

- - - -

How does corking the bat improve its performance? Is the bat lighter or is the trampolene effect of the outer surface improved?

Favorite Answer

Let me get this straight... you are MIT and you're asking me??? Isn't that kinda like Heather Locklear asking Joan Rivers for beauty tips?

Okay, here goes. I will give you what I know that I learned from the pros.

A hitter cannot "add" power to a 100-MPH fastball. If the timing is right and the ball is hit squarely the ball will go anywhere, over the wall or off the outfield wall, or maybe a hot grounder to an infielder. There are no guarantees of a homerun (at any speed).

Velocity: Ted Williams is the only player to hit a homerun off Rip Sewell's "Eephus" pitch. A "blooper" pitch that reached an arc of 25-feet and slow as Aunt Hattie with a walker. In that case Williams knew in advance it was coming and was prepared. Ted did have to supply more power than normal.

As for different parks... Denver is mile high and baseballs fly outta there better than, say, St. Louis due to elevation. (So I'm told)

Atlanta's Stadium is called the launching pad also but for different reasons.

Friction: Don't know. But humidity plays a part. Makes the ball seem heavier not lighter.

Corking the bat: Cork is supposed to strengthen the bat resulting in more power against the ball. Again, not necessarily a homerun but could get a ground ball faster past an infielder.

That's it. Hope some of this helps.

• Debra

I'm guessing that you're an aspiring baseball player. First off, a baseball travels as fast as you can throw it, and major league pitchers can throw a little over 100 miles per hour. There is no definite speed that baseball players run. They are often slightly faster than the average person, but if you can hit well, then you won't need as much speed. If you are in the 5-13 age range, bases are 60 feet apart and it is 45 feet from the pitchers' mound to home plate. From high school up, the bases are 90 feet apart, and it's 60 feet from the mound to home. Hope this helps.

Wow dude I think you might need a Physics Professor to answer that one. I would love to get into detail and try to answer it but it would be too long of an answer so maybe next time.

I found a great website that has every answer that you asked and a LOT more.

The physics of baseball. Very impressive stuff!

http://webusers.npl.uiuc.edu/~a-nathan/pob/

Source(s): I am alive and have a computer and can research things that I want to learn about. I have a brain and although I don't use it often, I am capable of making a rational thought now and then. =D

Who knows that? Why dont you ask your high school science tacher

• Pretty damn fast.