Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 1 decade ago

How do I access BIOS?

I just installed a video card and my speakers stopped working. I called up a friend that knows his stuff, we ran through some small procedures that didn't work and he told me the problem lies in BIOS. I have a Compaq Presario SR1403WM. I have Windows XP. If someone could tell me how to fix my speakers through BIOS that would be great.

Favorite Answer

Well, I can't actually tell you how to fix your speakers through your bios, but I can answer you original question on, "How do I access the BIOS?" As you boot your system, at the manufacturers splash logo, hit the key that was displayed to prompt on how to enter your bios. This key is the Delete key on my system, but it could be another one on yours, such as the F11, or even the Escape key. The trick is to look at your screen as you boot, and a message will appear that will say something like:

To enter bios press Del

To enter boot sequence press F11

As I said, your keys may be different than my keys. It all depends on your manufacturer and which Motherboard they used for your system.

If you do not see this message displayed on the screen it would be odd, because they usually do unless and until somebody enters the bios and changes which of these messages are displayed during boot. Both, one or none are the options within the bios on each motherboard.

It should be there, but will stay on screen for perhaps all of five seconds. So, watch closely in order to catch it before boot continues its merry way.

You can always go to your manufacturers user forums and receive assistance with your speaker issue, or once you are in the bios perhaps your friend can walk you through as he did in the troubleshooting steps. You may simply need to disable the onboard video in order to get your add-on card working properly.

Good luck and please have a nice day.

The BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) is the first thing that runs when you start your computer. Its job is to start up the hardware and to begin booting from the hard disk. You know when you start your computer and the manufacturer's logo is shown onscreen? That's the BIOS running. Usually, most of the BIOS' settings are hidden, but they can be accessed by hitting Esc, F2, F10, or another key on startup. Which key you should press depends on your computer. You should watch your computer as it starts up; it'll give a message on the bottom of the screen.

You navigate the BIOS using the arrow keys, Enter, and Escape. Again, it should give instructions regarding this. I don't know, however, how you'll use the BIOS to fix your sound. I confess I don't really know how to fix it, let alone how adding a video card will mess up your sound. Have you installed whatever drivers came with your video card?

The system restore process will automatically reset the priorities of all the drives after you have done a full system recovery. A full format is one that formats the drive and puts all of the original software back the way the computer was in when it was purchased from the retailer. That is called a destructive recovery. To find out how to do all this you need to refer to : system recovery. You need to realize this is not a windows function but rather a manufacturer's function and it is available through your vendor's help menu. You will need to get on line and ask where on your particular computer is the menu to do a format aka destructive recovery on your computer.

when your pc boots, look for an option (usually press F2 or F8) to enter setup/ BIOS. In BIOS, you need to allow driver activation for your devices. Once you've done that, go right click on My Computer --> properties --> device manager --> find your speakers --> update driver.

i have the same comp.

Restart ur comp and the bios screen comes up before it asks for ur password (the black one with F1, F2 etc at the bottom. Press F11 to open BIOS

Be careful in the BIOS... what u change in there could MASSIVELY affect your machine.

But u get it by pressing F2 or F12 on the keyboard just as soon as your machine powers up. Sometimes it's Ctrl. Keep pressing it till it comes!

be careful with bios settings, if you mess them up you can mess up your entire computer. but to access bios , for most computer, just keep tapping DELETE key when its booting up.

press your on button to turn on and press the delete button repeatedly.

turn on your computer and press delete or f2 one of the two

Why don't you ask your friend?