What would cause my son to have proteinuria? How is this treated?

Basically I am going out of my mind, as any mother would. I am worried about kidney damage. My son is only 5 years old. We have gone to the Dr to give urine samples twice this week, and on both days I was told his proteinuria was a 30, with 15 being the normal.

He also has hematuria, I don't know how bad, but his Dr seems more concerned about the protein level. I would like to hear anyone's experience on this, and especially how it was treated. Thank you.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

People with diabetes, hypertension, or certain family backgrounds are at risk for proteinuria. In the United States, diabetes is the leading cause of end-stage renal disease (ESRD), the result of chronic kidney disease. In both type 1 and type 2 diabetes, the first sign of deteriorating kidney function is the presence of small amounts of albumin in the urine, a condition called microalbuminuria. As kidney function declines, the amount of albumin in the urine increases, and microalbuminuria becomes full-fledged proteinuria.

High blood pressure is the second leading cause of ESRD. Proteinuria in a person with high blood pressure is an indicator of declining kidney function. If the hypertension is not controlled, the person can progress to full renal failure.

African Americans are more likely than Caucasians to have high blood pressure and to develop kidney problems from it, even when their blood pressure is only mildly elevated. In fact, African Americans are six times more likely than Caucasians to develop hypertension-related kidney failure.

Other groups at risk for proteinuria are American Indians, Hispanic/Latinos, Pacific Islander Americans, older people, and overweight people. These at-risk groups and people who have a family history of kidney disease should have their urine tested regularly.

What causes proteinuria?

Protein should not normally appear in the urine in detectable quantities. It is usually kept in the blood by the filtering units (glomeruli) within the kidney. Proteinuria is an indicator that the kidneys are damaged in some way. Diseases that affect the filtering units themselves are the most common cause of heavy proteinuria. Sometimes this is called glomerulonephritis, meaning inflammation of the glomeruli. Just as some examples, any of the causes of nephrotic syndrome could be causes of proteinuria.

How is proteinuria treated?

If you have diabetes, hypertension, or both, the first goal of treatment will be to control your blood glucose and blood pressure. If you have diabetes, you should test your blood glucose often, follow a healthy eating plan, take your medicines, and get plenty of exercise. If you have diabetes and high blood pressure, your doctor may prescribe a medicine from a class of drugs called ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitors or a similar class called ARBs (angiotensin receptor blockers). These drugs have been found to protect kidney function even more than other drugs that provide the same level of blood pressure control. The American Diabetes Association recommends that people with diabetes keep their blood pressure below 130/80.

People who have high blood pressure and proteinuria but not diabetes also benefit from taking an ACE inhibitor or ARB. Their blood pressure should be maintained below 130/80. To maintain this target, you may need to take a combination of two or more blood pressure medicines. Your doctor may also prescribe a diuretic in addition to your ACE inhibitor or ARB. Diuretics are also called "water pills" because they help you urinate and get rid of excess fluid in your body.

In addition to blood glucose and blood pressure control, the National Kidney Foundation recommends restricting dietary salt and protein. Your doctor may refer you to a dietitian to help you develop and follow a healthy eating plan.

For More Information

American Kidney Fund

6110 Executive Boulevard

Suite 1010

Rockville, MD 20852

Phone: 1–800–638–8299 or 301–881–3052

Email: helpline@kidneyfund.org

Internet: www.kidneyfund.org

National Kidney Foundation

30 East 33rd Street

New York, NY 10016

Phone: 1–800–622–9010 or 212–889–2210

Email: info@kidney.org

Internet: www.kidney.org

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

no it has no symtoms it is not the most healthy thing you can do because it lowers your defence cells and you are more likely to get sick. because your white blood count is low.your body has to produce more sperm to store and that is what makes you weak but if you do masterbate remerber to drink pleanty of fluids.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.