Why won't my ex steeplechaser jump anything?

I have a beautiful 16.3 ex chaser and although I have only had him a few weeks he refuses to even jump a cross pole. When he was raced they ran him in sheepskin cheek piece type blinkers and I was wondering if this is why. I bought him with the intention of retraing him for low level eventing pre novice or novice... show more I have a beautiful 16.3 ex chaser and although I have only had him a few weeks he refuses to even jump a cross pole. When he was raced they ran him in sheepskin cheek piece type blinkers and I was wondering if this is why. I bought him with the intention of retraing him for low level eventing pre novice or novice but this now seems unlikely even though his flat work is really good and he has learnt quickly and works in a super outline and is responsive.
Update: before I bought him I had him fully 5 staged vetted and he has no injuries or old racing injuries his race record showed that he never fell either. This seems to be a behavial problem not a medical one. Does anyone know how I can make jumping fun for him as he can be lazy and un motivated at times?