Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

WHAT'S A GOOD AUTHOR OR BOOK TO READ FOR FOLKS WHO NEED MORE SELF ASSERTIVENESS FOR BEING WHITE?

I DONT REALLY HAVE ANY SELF ESTEEM LEFT BECAUSE EVERYSINCE I WAS SIX WHEN I WAS SENT TO KINDERGARDEN AND ON UP TIL GRADUATION I'VE HAD IT BEET IN MY HEAD THAT MY RACE IS A SIN. I'VE NEVER HAD THE EXPERIENCE TO BE HAPPY WITH WHO I AM BECAUSE OF THAT AND IM TIRED OF HAVING A CRAPPY LIFE. ID RATHER NOT LIVE IF I HAVE TO GO AROUND ALL THE TIME HEARING IM A DEVIL AND A DECENDENT OF EVIL. I ALWAYS HEAR NEWS OF THE BLACK SIDE OF THINGS AND ITS TEARING ME APART. MOST OF MY FAMILY FEELS THE SAME AND MY NEPHEW ACTS GHETTO NOW AND ALWAYS SAYS HE IS ONLY WHITE ON THE OUTSIDE BECAUSE HES BLACK AT HEART AND I WAS TOLD THAT HE USE TO GET BEATEN BY BLACK KIDS AND HE WOULD COME HOME CRYING EVERYDAY. I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF SOMEONE OUT THERE KNOWS AN AUTHOR OR SOME BOOK MAYBE THAT CAN LIFT ME AND FEEL BETTER SO THAT I CAN SPEND THE REMAINER OF MY LIFE NOT FEELING IN HELL. I KNOW THERE ARE MANY BOOKS OUT THERE TO EMPOWER THE BLACK PEOPLE SO THERE HAS TO BE SOMETHING I CAN READ, RIGHT? lIFE IS TOO SHORT AND YOU ONLY HAVE ONE CHANCE AND I DONT WANNA SPEND MINE LIKE THIS AND IT MAKES ME CRY TO SEE MY LOVED ONES DO THE SAME.

Favorite Answer

I'm going to speak very frankly:

For the majority of human existence, white people have always been the superior ones and have terrorized colored ones. Now, this terror has been transferred from generation to generation of colored people and maybe some of them feel angry at the white people.

I'm not blaming anyone, I'm saying you can't do much about what's happened centuries before you were born. There aren't very many white-empowerment books because they haven't really had to go through as much as colored people have.

I'm sorry if you feel that your living in hell, but you must be living in a rascist ghetto in Chicago or something, to feel that way. It's usually the white people who treat the black people like that today.

First...

you can't villafy black people anymore than black people can villify all white people... Yes it's true that there are white people who are racist...

But you fight against the "RACISM"... not human beings...

The reason you're going through hell right now is because of that racism... Black people, as well as other people of color, have been treated poorly and that is where all of the pain and anger comes from... but it has to be directed at how racism is wrong... not at innocent people (unless you're racist you shouldn't be blamed unless you participate in that notion)... But you can't be ignorant to racism and the effects that it's had...

So if you want your life back you have to find a balance... you can't say that racism doesn't exist and you can't be ignorant as to why there is a stigma against white people...

If you aren't racist than you need to learn to process things differently when someone hates you because you're white (and not because you're a racist - which would be justifiable but hate, even towards racists, is letting people have power over you).

Also... you don't have to feel like it's just against white people... Racism happens all over the world, as well as other forms of discrimination... and it's always the opressed hating their opressers... or those who discriminate against them... In Ireland people fight because of religion (so there are people there being hated for their religion and not the fact that they discriminate against others)...

Blame the evil in this world... If racism didn't exist YOU and PEOPLE OF COLOR wouldn't be going through the discrimination that BOTH SIDES are going through now...

So blame the racism... not black people (just like people of color need to blame racism and not white people)... If you happen to be a person who is white and racist... well than you're just being called on racism (because let's face it... people use color as a way to discriminate... so why wouldn't there be hatred toward someone who is white who claims superiority because of their skin color - but if you're white and not racist then you too are being discriminated against).

At least you can understand what black people go through when they are discriminated against because of their color and vice versa (they can also understand how you are discriminated against because of your color)...

So blame the racism... not the victims of it from both sides (you included as one of racism's victims).

Just see past the bullshit of society and you'll be fine (that includes how racism, no matter who it comes from, is wrong and NEVER justified).

EDIT:

I love and agree with everything that "I love rock" had to say...

She had the courage to say what I could not.