GotAnswers? asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

jack russell?????????????????

could anyone give me in information on this breed

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hyper

Jack Russell Terriers are a sturdy, tough Terrier, measuring between 10" and 15" at the withers. Jack Russell is primarily a working terrier originally bred to bolt fox from their dens during hunts, they are used on numerous ground-dwelling quarry such as groundhog, badger, and red and grey fox. Their high energy and drive make these dogs ideally suited to a number of different dog sports such as flyball or agility. Obedience classes are also recommended to potential owners as Jack Russells can be stubborn at times and aggressive towards other animals and humans if not properly socialized. Jack Russells may be smooth or broken (rough) coated and may be white, white with black or tan markings or white with a combination of these colours. Jack Russells can match any cat in their ability to catch mice and other varmints. They are game, hardy dogs that may be happy lounging on the couch but would be happier working in the field

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Generally, very, very cute. Love, love, LOVE to play. Are very excitable Are HYPER to the max - a dog book dedicated to the breed said that they will bark to tell you there's oxygen in the air, and bark at everything else. TRUE!!! They have tons of energy and don't do well in dog schools unless you're very talented at teaching them not to bark. Most will jump a lot, hate baths, hate getting their nails/claws clipped. Shed a lot because they will run around the house all the time, and no, you can't teach them not to get on the furniture....

I know from experience. But they're very loveable, and if you're nice to them they will ADORE you. Mine would curl up at our feet each and every time anyone in the family sat down on the couch. Sorry this is all temperament info, I don't remember much about the breed itself, like weight, height, etc. My terrier was actually a mix, but according to the dog book acted like most jack russells do.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

hi,

Developed in England some 200 years ago to hunt foxes, the Jack Russell Terrier, also known as the Parson Russell Terrier, is a lively, independent, and clever little dog. He's charming and affectionate, but he's also a handful to train and manage. For experienced dog owners only!

here's a complete info:

http://tinyurl.com/6ncmcb

hope this helps.

• 1 decade ago

These dogs were breed to hunt vermin. That makes them diggers usually. They can be quite vocal at times as well. If you start them in training right away with other dogs and people, they can be very well behaved and obedient dogs. But if you just want to love on them and give into their every wimper, you will have a monster on your hands. Start early and be a Packleader from the beginning and you will have all the respect in the world from your dog:) Just my opinion.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

My family JR when I was younger loved my family and hated me for some odd reason. It was an ankle biter and killed a bird in our yard!

However she loved my mum and was a brilliant companion to her when me and my sisters moved out.

They are comical little dogs with strong personalities.

• 1 decade ago

The Jack Russell Terrier is a small, principally white-bodied, smooth or rough-coated terrier that has its origins in fox hunting. The name "Jack Russell" has been used over the years to describe a wide array of small white terriers, but now after a drawn out legal battle the JRTCA (Jack Russell Terrier Club of America) and its affiliates have won the exclusive rights to use the name Jack Russell Terrier to describe their particular variant of the dog. Commonly confused with the Parson Russell Terrier, the AKC and affiliate variant, and the Russell Terrier, a shorter legged, stockier variety, the working Jack Russell Terrier is a unique terrier which has been preserved in working ability as well as appearance much as it existed over 200 years ago.

DESCRIPTION:

Jack Russell Terriers are a sturdy, tough Terrier, measuring between 10" and 15" at the withers. The body length must be in proportion to the height, and the dog should present a compact, balanced image. Predominantly white in coloration (more than 51%) with black and/or tan markings, [1], they exhibit a smooth, broken or rough coat. The skin can sometimes show a pattern of small black or brown spots, referred to as "ticking", that do not carry through to the outer coat. All coat types should be dense double coats that are neither silky (in the case of smooth coats) or woolly (in the case of rough coats). The head should be of moderate width at the ears, narrowing to the eyes, and slightly flat between the ears. There should be a defined stop at the end of the muzzle where it meets the head but not overpronounced, with a black nose. The jaw should be powerful and well boned with a scissor bite and straight teeth. The eyes are almond shaped and dark colored, and should be full of life and intelligence. Small V-shaped ears of moderate thickness are carried forward on the head. When the dog is alert the tip of the V should not extend past the outer corner of the eyes. The tail is set high and docked to approximately five inches in order to provide a sufficient hand-hold for gripping the terrier. It is a serious fault for the dog to have its tail down when in the show ring. The Jack Russell should always appear balanced and alert.[1]

As the Jack Russell is primarily a working terrier, their most important physical characteristic is their chest size, which must not be so large that it prevents the dog from entering and working in burrows. The red fox is the traditional quarry of the Jack Russell Terrier (JRT) so the working Jack Russell must be small enough to pursue its quarry. Red foxes vary in size, but across the world they average about 14 pounds in weight and have an average chest size of 12-14 inches at the widest part. As Barry Jones, the founding Chairman of the National Working Terrier Federation noted:

The chest is, without doubt, the determining factor as to whether a terrier may follow its intended quarry underground. Too large and he/she is of little use for underground work, for no matter how determined the terrier may be, this physical setback will not be overcome in the nearly-tight situations it will encounter in working foxes. It may be thought the fox is a large animal - to the casual observer it would appear so. However, the bone structure of the fox is finer than that of a terrier, plus it has a loose-fitting, profuse pelt which lends itself to flexibility. I have not encountered a fox which could not be spanned at 14 inches circumference - this within a weight range of 10 lbs to 24 lbs, on average 300 foxes spanned a year.

The chest of a Jack Russell should be easily spannable by the average size hands, meaning that if one wraps their hands around the dogs chest, directly behind their front legs, one should be able to put thumb to thumb, and forefinger to forefinger.

TEMPERAMENT:

Jack Russells are first and foremost a working terrier. Originally bred to bolt fox from their dens during hunts, they are used on numerous ground-dwelling quarry such as groundhog, badger, and red and grey fox . The working JRT is required to locate quarry in the earth, and then either bolt or hold it in place until they are dug to. To accomplish this the dog must bark and work the quarry continuously. Because the preservation of this working ability is of highest importance to most registered breeders Jack Russells tend to be extremely intelligent, athletic, fearless, and vocal dogs. It is not uncommon for these dogs to become moody or destructive if they are not properly stimulated and exercised as they have a tendency to bore easily and will often create their own fun when left alone to entertain themselves.

Their high energy and drive make these dogs ideally suited to a number of different dog sports such as flyball or agility. Obedience classes are also recommended to potential owners as Jack Russells can be stubborn at times and aggressive towards other animals and humans if not properly socialized (a process that should continue throughout their whole lives). Despite their small size these dogs are not recommended for the condominium or apartment dweller unless the owner is ready to take on the daunting task of providing the dog with the necessary amount of exercise and stimulation. These are truly a big dog in a small package, and most suffer from a "Napoleon complex", which can sometimes lead to trouble involving larger animals. The JRT owner must be aware of these tendencies and be the cognizant party in many situations.[2]

Jack Russell terriers are not recommended for families with young children as they are intolerant of even unintentional abuse and will often return a perceived injustice with aggression. This is not to say that the Jack Russell can not cohabit with well behaved children but both dog and child need to be properly introduced and educated on how to behave towards one another, and never left unsupervised. JRTs are also extremely loyal towards their owners, and highly territorial. If a Jack Russell decides that something belongs to it even the most persuasive owner is unlikely to convince them otherwise.

Despite some of these negative traits JRTs are exceptionally loving, intelligent dogs who have the ability to entertain their owners for hours with their comical antics. Www.jack-russell-pictures.com describes the JRT well: "To understand the Jack Russell temperament, it must be remembered that they are first and foremost a "working dog". In other words, they were designed to aggressively run, chase, and flush out fox and badgers in the great hunts of England. These traits, so passionately guarded by Jack Russell breeders since the 19th century, have delivered to us a dog that is fearless, happy, alert, confident, intelligent and lively. A dog that is ready to meet the world on a moment's notice...this is the Jack Russell temperament in a nutshell."

etc. etc. etc. They are very cute dogs! Good Luck!

Source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Russell_Terrier <----- Read this website to learn more on Jack Russell Terriers
  • 1 decade ago

they are snappy dogs and learn fast and run and are chasers they are good dogs and companions.

• 1 decade ago

two words:SUPER ENERGETIC!!!!!they need lots of play and exercise and have been known to nip

Source(s): i've loved and learned about dogs since i was young
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.