Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

If John McCain bona fides are so good why don't the troops support him?

According to an analysis of campaign contributions by the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, Democrat Barack Obama has received nearly six times as much money from troops deployed overseas at the time of their contributions than has Republican John McCain, and the fiercely anti-war Ron Paul, though he suspended his campaign for the Republican nomination months ago, has received more than four times McCain’s haul.

Despite McCain’s status as a decorated veteran and a historically Republican bent among the military, members of the armed services overall — whether stationed overseas or at home — are also favoring Obama with their campaign contributions in 2008, by a $55,000 margin. Although 59 percent of federal contributions by military personnel has gone to Republicans this cycle, of money from the military to the presumed presidential nominees, 57 percent has gone to Obama.

Aaron Belkin, a professor of political science at the University of California who studies the military, said, “That’s shocking. The academic debate is between some who say that junior enlisted ranks lean slightly Republican and some who say it’s about equal, but no one would point to six-to-one” in Democrats’ favor. “That represents a tremendous shift from 2000, when the military vote almost certainly was decisive in Florida and elsewhere, and leaned heavily towards the Republicans.”

That last point is especially striking. Eight years ago, Bush outraised Gore among military personnel almost 2 to 1. Four years ago, Kerry did better, but Bush raised $1.50 for every dollar Kerry raised.

http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2008/08/troops-dep...

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Nice analysis!

There are a lot of reasons the troops don't support McCain--here's one that you may not have thought of--but you can be damn sure the troops have.

These men and women are serving our country at the risk of their lives. That's what THEY are doing--regardless of whether we sould be in Iraq or not. They are heroes /heroines.

McCain has called for eliminating health care and educational benefits for our veterans. That's what he thinks of them. Well--since McCain doesn't support our troops, I guess they decided to return the favor.

• Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

that's an effortless question, think of approximately it logically. The troops isn't what McCain helps not even McCain however the full suitable, they help the conflict. once you have a much bigger G.I. bill or extra valuable benifits for college or housing it supplies human beings a much bigger reason to depart the army. i visit college on a financial ruin 35 if McCain wins the election i will start up searching for extra scholorships i'm going to ought to.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Valid points, except that donations do not equal votes.

Only a very small fraction of people donate, where the vast majority actually vote

• 1 decade ago

The U.S military always overwhelmingly supports the republican party. I would find it hard to believe and trust any poll that says otherwise.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Maybe Obama's supporters are donating more than McCains. Obama's supporters seem so desperate to get him elected. I'm not surprised at the large amounts of money they're donating.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Soldiers vote, not give money. Rest assured they will not be voting for Barry Omama.

• 1 decade ago

The military will vote Republican like they always do, just as they did for Bush.

Source(s): Any military poll you can find on the internet will tell you this.
  • 1 decade ago

Who wants to be in Iraq for the next hundred years?

• Diddy
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

maybe the soldiers for mccain are less wealthy and do not have the money to donate.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That's bullsh it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.