Anonymous

Where did the stereotype of blacks eating watermelon come from?

I rarely see a black person eat watermelon in public.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I've often wondered that myself. So I decided to do some researching...and I found an interesting website from a university that deals with the origins of stereotypes. I've provided the link for you and anyone else who is interested.

As for me, I like fried chicken as well as watermelon, but for years I hid that because I didn't want to be made fun of, but now I figure the hell with that nonsense. There are worse things in the world to like....and I know plenty of white people who like those things, too.

• 4 years ago

It's been around a long time because I saw Don Rickles joke about Sammy Davis Jr.s first crib being a hollowed out watermelon and that was in the sixties.

• 1 decade ago

That's one thing I don't know, I think watermelon is the most disgusting thing in the world. I wouldn't eat a watermelon if I was starving and dehydrated in the desert.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Is that really a stereotype? Most people I know love watermelon! It's a freakin fruit. What the hell?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Whenever I'm in the grocery store, all I see are white people on the watermelon.

And who the hell does not like watermelon anyway?

• 1 decade ago

Im not sure, but when I go to the grocery store, I typically only see white people with watermelons in their carts.

• 1 decade ago

great question. I wonder the same thing.

actually the stereotype I heard is black people like watermelon and fried chicken.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Good Question.

Doesn't everyone like Watermelon? I know I do.

• 1 decade ago

There good, they feed a lot of people, and their cheep. Why wouldn't black people like them.My buddy grows watermelons and thats the majority of his customers. Who cares? Isn't it the same that Aisans enjoy rice? different cultures just like different things.

• 1 decade ago

Yeah I don't get that one either.

I'm Asian and I think Watermelon is good, oh well more for us then.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.