Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Turkey · 1 decade ago

SIMILARITIES and DIFFERENCES between the SECULARISM in TURKEY, FRANCE and ISRAEL? Is it the same perception?

Only a few countries have adopted secularism in their constitution...And I suppose some countries don't have "always" the same vision nor the same approach about this "issue".

3 examples representing 3 distinct religions...

France has a Christian majority, Israel has a Jewish majority, Turkey has a Muslim majority, and the three of these countries have minorities of the other religions...But do they share really the valours ? Do they interpret this notion exactly on the same way ?...

How a Frenchman, a Turk and an Israeli define the word "laicism" ? Does it have the same meaning and the equivalent importance for all of them ?

Favorite Answer

First of all I want to be clear that laicism and secularism are synonims (the difference stands because laic cames from greek and secular cames from latin) but both means that relgion stands aside of the state.

Similarities:

The three of them try to mantain the title of secular government and I can bet that the word laicism or Secularism means the same for the Frenchman, Turks, Israelis or us Mexicans and certainly has the same importance too........its just that each country face different realities that makes secularism turns to a pallet of shades.

Differences:

French is a European country (Republic) with a majority of Christians ( Catholics) but with big Jewish and Muslim communities also. French constitution seems to grant the freedom of faith among its citizens and certainly tends to favour the laicism of the state (i.e. no religious symbols can be used inside the public classrooms, etc etc).

Israel in the other hand, is a democracy with a parlamentary systems that tries to be secular in a region where religion rules the daily lives of its citizens. I mean Israels flag denotes a strong Jewish symbolism, anc certainly has a strong (jewish) orthodox wing operating across the entire government organization. Jerusalem is the Holly City of 3 of the Main Religions of the World, moreover has a big muslim and palestine communities who claims a state of their own (sometimes motivated with religious ambitons)...so I think Israel has a bigger challenge than France in this matters.....and Secularism in Israel maybe its near the boarder with Theocratic state than Secularism in France is.

Turkey: Well Turkish are mainly Muslim and has no such religious mix as its counterparts (France and Israel). I think Turkeys big challenge tend to be more an Ethnical problem (with the Kurds / Armenians/ etc) other than religious. So in Turkey with a majority of one religion and some Western influence, Secularism seems to be easier to achive by the government.

Cheers!!

• anlarm

I am not French or Israeli so I wouldn't know how they define the wod 'laicism'. For a Turk, laicism/secularism means not allowing the religion to interfere with the state and daily life.

On the other hand, I have doubts about Israel being secular. Their whole educational system is overloaded with the Jewish religion. Their daily lives are governed by religion. Even their state was founded on the religious belief of the 'promised land'. I personally find it so difficult to believe Israel is secular.

As for France, their politicians sound so religious, especially when they say EU is a Christian Club and Muslim Turkey has no place in it.

• Çetin

hi Maurice,

As times ago,the countries have either theocratic state or laic/secular state.For example,Vatican,Saudi Arabistan and İran are the theocratic state , UK-USA are the secular state but France ,Türkiye and Mexico are laic state.The communist countries (N.Kore-China-Cuba-Vietnam) are laic .

After Magna Carta( 1215), the "EVOLUTION" started in UK ,it lasted many years ,one side (the workers-the farmers-the bourgeois) and other side (King-the clergy ) signed the "Toleration act-Instrument Government-Declaration of Rights".They controls ,alltogather, the instruments of Gorvernment.

In France , The REVOLUTİON (1789) ended the autority of the King and The clergy. The social class (the workers-the farmers-the bourgeois) didn't share to control the management of the state.They are more strict about that.Therefore ,at the France Parliament and T.B.M.M , The parliamenterian don't swear by Kuran or Bible.

As for me, Laicism/Secularism is the separation of the WORLD affairs (not only state affairs) and religious affairs.

in Türkiye,AKP doesn't understand different between "the world affairs " and "the state affairs" and they say "we doesn't change the state but the world affairs must change ".We known very well , this is TAKKIYE(big religious lie).

well,the idea of being secular is simple and easy to understand.its such an important and secure ideal when u live in a multi racial or relgious state.its gives everyone a clean slate to practise what religion they like in thier homes or place of worship,but u know all this already.

the problem is not being secular and it never will be the problem.the problem is selfish uncooperative people who secretly love the security of the secular way, but dislike the 'non-muslimness' of it.the koran says allahs law is ironclad,same as bible says jesus law is gospel,and being secular and hardcore muslim dont fit.

turkey doesnt have any minorities of non muslim religion to worry about,cos kurds r muslims.france and israel do.christian and jews with muslim communities in thier lands,so its hard to compare all 3.

• fidget

Before attempting to answer this question, can I request that you check your terminology? "Laicism" and "Secularism" do not mean the same thing.

see here:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/secular

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Laicism

None of the countries mentioned use English in their constitutions so understanding of what they mean by their terms is important. Are they even referring to the same concept?

Source(s): I teach English. Please check the meaning of these terms in English and then go to the original languages and check their words' meanings. I repeat: in English, "laicism" and "secularism" are different concepts.