Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What is a good Vytorin alternative?

With the news about Vytorin not providing much benefit, possible cancer link, is there an alternate medicine (2 drugs in 1 pill) that I could consider to take instead?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I've found at dooblet.com the following alternatives to Vitorin:

***** crestor

***** lipitor

**** zocor

*** pravachol

** zetia

** tricor

** lovastatin

* simvastatin

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Alternatives To Vytorin

• 1 decade ago

Artificially lowering your cholesterol provides no health advantage. The Vytorin study proves just that. Adding Zetia did lower the LDL by 17 percent over Zocor alone. The plaque build up was double. Probably not Zetia's fault, just no advantage to lower numbers. Cholesterol is there to repair damaged or inflamed arteries. Just getting the number down will just hinder your body's defense and repair mechanism. Be very carefully of what you call high Cholesterol. When I was in school, anything below 250 was considered normal. Since our bodies have not evolved much in 30 years, I would say that normal is normal. The drug companies keep lowering the targets because they are not getting the results they think they should and of course every time they lower the number, millions more healthy people become customers. The best part is that the diet they recommend is guaranteed to not work. Control your insulin levels, eliminate trans-fats, consume natural saturated fat and cholesterol, eliminate processed foods, take fish oil or cod liver oil. Note, the increased cancer risk is from the low cholesterol and suppressed immune system, not the drug per say. Don't forget the cognitive side effects.

Pharmacist who's life was almost ruined by Lipitor.

Source(s): http://spacedoc.net/why_ENHANCE_failed.html Hundreds more upon request
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

excercising and cutting back on cholesterol in your diet are by far the best ways. some people just have high cholesterol and they cant do anything about it.if it is really really high you will probably end up having to use a statin i think there is evidence (im not positive i havent looked into it deeply) that plant sterols and policasanol (there is a small amount in in 1 a day cholesterol smart vitamins) are supposed to work some as far as natural stuff goes, but they wont give you near the results of crestor or vytorin. and like the other guy said fish oil might help too. if you decide to go to that route make sure to ask you talk it over with your doc first to make sure products like those are ok for you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

To answer your question, stick with a statin such as Zocor, etc. Your doctor may want to add Niaspan, depending on your labs.

Again, the pharmacist is not correct.

In ENHANCE, Zetia was shown not to provide a benefit. The trial was NOT designed to show if lowering cholesterol with simvastatin alone was beneficial. There are numerous well designed, double blind, placebo controlled studies that lowering cholesterol lowers morbidity & mortality in high risk patients.

Also, statins are well tolerated by the vast majority of patients.

Source(s): vascular PA whose life has NOT been ruined by 8 years of high dose statins & niacin
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.