Do royal mail standard parcels include a reference number?

i bought a item of ebay and payed a fair bit of cash for it and it was delivered via royal mail standard parcel last wednesday morning, it says 3-5 working days it has been over a week and still hasn't arrived. I have phoned royal mail and my local post office they say they can't do anything unless I get a item... show more i bought a item of ebay and payed a fair bit of cash for it and it was delivered via royal mail standard parcel last wednesday morning, it says 3-5 working days it has been over a week and still hasn't arrived. I have phoned royal mail and my local post office they say they can't do anything unless I get a item number or reference number. do standard parcels include these as i have phoned the person a number of times and asked him various questions ( including can he confirm he sent it and he has said yes, it was from scotland but the allotted time Royal mail have to send it has been breached) so i want to know yes or no and some information before i go hassling him again. I know this was a big speech lol but i want verification and some facts before i go round doing my buisness.
Update: Okay but how can i track it the person gave me a reference number which he got from his local post office it doesn't work. I've asked him to try it again but how can i track it down and im near 100% sure it has been sent. As i payed £235 and the person has offered it all back if i dont get my package and he... show more Okay but how can i track it the person gave me a reference number which he got from his local post office it doesn't work. I've asked him to try it again but how can i track it down and im near 100% sure it has been sent. As i payed £235 and the person has offered it all back if i dont get my package and he payed a extra $3.50 for PandP so hes losing money so i can be safe to assume he isn't conning me. but i need to know urgentely what is the best way i can track it down if i cant find a reference number.
Update 2: meant £3.50