Stopped by police, can I refuse to get into his car?

I was pulled over by the police for contravening a bus lane, I didn't know this at the time as the road had not always been a bus lane. My 1 yr old nephew was in the car and the officer told me to turn off my engine and get into his car. I didn't want to but was unaware of my rights. When I got back to my car my... show more I was pulled over by the police for contravening a bus lane, I didn't know this at the time as the road had not always been a bus lane. My 1 yr old nephew was in the car and the officer told me to turn off my engine and get into his car. I didn't want to but was unaware of my rights. When I got back to my car my nephew was crying and had been for some time.
Update: I told him my nephew was in the car and he insisted he would be fine. I am aware bus lanes are marked - on one side of the road. I came down the other side (not a a bus lane) crossing over the bus lane and into a car park. I then came out of the car park turning into this lane - no signs visible as they are... show more I told him my nephew was in the car and he insisted he would be fine.

I am aware bus lanes are marked - on one side of the road. I came down the other side (not a a bus lane) crossing over the bus lane and into a car park. I then came out of the car park turning into this lane - no signs visible as they are usually at the beginning or end of the lane.

At the time I did not question whether to refuse but seeing my nephew upset like that after about 5 mins on his own on reflection I wanted to know if I could refuse should anything like that happen again.