jen86 asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

Does disabling Bonjour affect Itunes ability to function?

I upgraded to the latest version on Itunes a week ago, and it installed something called Bonjour with it. From what I understand, this is used when connecting apple devices such as the iPhone. Since I do not have nor expect to have any Apple devices, is it alright to disable Bonjour? Or does Itunes actually need it to run?

Favorite Answer

If you don't need to share libraries between local computers, or use appletv, or any of the other sharing stuff, you don't need bonjour. If you uninstall it, iTunes will complain that the service is stopped, but it works fine. I followed the instructions on this website to stop it on my Windows computer.

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/02/10/how...

Itunes Bonjour

all and sundry persons, unconsciously, works out a private philosophy of existence, by making use of which we are guided, stimulated, and corrected, as time is going on. it relatively is that this philosophy by making use of which we degree out our days, and by making use of which we promote to all approximately us the guy, or woman, that we are. . . . It takes yet a quick time to fragrance the existence philosophy of everybody. it relatively is defined interior the communique, interior the seem of the attention, and interior the final mien of the guy. It has no hiding place. it relatively is like the fragrance of the flower — unseen, yet conventional virtually promptly. it relatively is the possession of the efficient, and the satisfied. And it relatively is very much adorned by making use of the absorption of recommendations and stories of the useful of this earth. George MatthewAdams

It actually does something with Itunes , so just let it run , it doesnt affect anything on your pc/mac

I also asked the same question two times, and not gotten an answer

This is a great question

Why disable it? It doesn't do anything unless you want it to, so ignore it.