Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How are things in Kuwait for expats?

I'm considering going back to work in Kuwait after having worked from 2005 to 2007. I understand elections there have ushered in a more conservative government. Has this had an effect on Westerners living and working in Kuwait?

Favorite Answer

Crime is quite rare, and what there is tends to be fairly minor, however most crime tends to be in the overcrowded Asian parts of town. Groups of 5 or more people out late at night are also seen as a threat and can be taken in by "Competent Security Personnel" for questioning. There are regular police road blocks checking for paperwork to cut down on illegal immigrants. It is also worth noting that almost every Kuwaiti, seems to be a policeman, and there appears to be no "ordinary constable" rank, as every uniform has at least one stripe; when in doubt ask for the captain.

The threat from Iraq in the north is ever present, however there is a large military presence in the form of both British and U.S. warships in the Gulf, an RAF squadron of Tornados, U.S. A10 bombers and regular troop maneuvers on the Saudi border provide an adequate deterrent, although the average expat does not really feel this threat.

Hi,

I was dispatched to Kuwait City to stay as an ex-pat for a year ir si.

I have never been so bored in all my life.

OK, a steak in the revolving restaurant on the Kuwait Tower, A wander around the docks & souks.

Not much else of interest in Kuwait.

For example, and I am anti-racist, an elderly gentleman on a street corner, in purposfully shabby dish-dash was holding out his hand. Begging.

I spotted the gold Rolex watch.

The Unemployed rate is about 99% as there is no need to work.

Bob