mandi asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

AUTHENTIC Welsh rarebit recipe?

There is an English Tea Room in the town where I live and I had their Welsh rarebit for lunch and LOVED it. I have found some recipes online, but none of them sound quite like what I had...I would have sworn there was horseradish in it, but none of the recipes list that as an ingredient. (Maybe it wasn't one, I'm not sure). 10 points for the best recipe!!

Favorite Answer

WELSH RAREBIT

3 tbsp. butter

3 tbsp. whole wheat flour

1 can beer, at room temperature

1 lb. Cheddar cheese, grated

1 tsp. dry mustard

1/2 tsp. prepared horseradish

A few drops of Tabasco sauce

Black pepper

Melt butter in medium saucepan, whisk in flour and dry mustard. Lower heat and cook, whisking 5 minutes. Whisk in beer, cook and whisk 8-10 more minutes, or until thick. Add all other ingredients and cook over very low heat 8-10 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon. Serve over toasted bread or English muffins.

• greear

Authentic Welsh Rarebit Recipe

Welsh Rarebit (Caws Pobi)

Welsh rarebit (generally pronounced 'rabbit') is served world-wide. Adding beer improves the dish.

Ingredients

Serves: 4

50 Gram Butter (2 oz)

225 Gram Cheddar cheese (8 oz)

Salt

Pepper

1 Teaspoon Mustard, optional

2 Tablespoon Beer, optional

4 Slices of bread, toasted

Method

Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan, stir in the cheese and add salt, pepper and mustard if liked. Stir over a gentle heat until the cheese melts.

This mixture may be used as it is, or can be bound with egg yolks if the butter and cheese show signs of separating. The beer should be stirred in last, if using.

Spread the toast slices with the mixture and brown under a preheated grill for 3-4 minutes.

Buck Rarebit

Buck rarebit is Welsh rarebit with a poached egg served on top of each slice

Welsh Rabbit

Serves 4 to 6

Chowning's Tavern

Colonial Williamsburg

Williamsburg, Virginia

Ingredients:

1 cup beer

2 teaspoons mustard powder

¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1½ cups grated Cheddar cheese

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Salt to taste

4 to 6 tomato slices

8 to 12 slices (½­ inch thick), toasted French or Italian bread

Directions:

Preheat a broiler. Place the beer, mustard, cayenne and Worcestershire sauce in a saucepan, and heat over medium heat until boiling. Slowly whisk in the cheese, making sure each addition is melted before adding the next. Add the butter, and whisk until smooth. Season with salt to taste, and set aside.

Place the tomato slices on the rack of a broiler pan, and broil for 1 minute, or until lightly browned.

To serve, place the toast slices on the bottom of an oven­proof gratin dish or in individual gratin dishes. Pour the cheese over the toast, and then top with the tomato slices. Place under the broiler and broil until the cheese is bubbly and brown. Serve immediately.

Note: The components of the dish can be prepared up to a few hours in advance and kept at room temperature. Reheat the cheese until hot, whisking until it is smooth, before the final broiling.

hope this helps. good luck and enjoy.

First, I have not tried any of these particular recipes, but I had fun searching.

I'm wondering if it was horseradish, or simply sharp cheddar + dry English mustard (Coleman's). It would have been a highly-flavored cheese sauce as it was used to use up stale and dry bits of leftover bread. Horseradish doesn't sound bad in it, though.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robert-irvine/w...

http://search.foodnetwork.com/food/recipe/welsh+ra...

have you considered contacting the tea room and asking them? I looked this up too and it sounds to me like it is one of those things that has many variations. The chef at that tea room may just have given it a twist if his own to make it the same goodness but strictly his/her own variation. At the shop I work at, we do this all the time, take a standard recipe and bump it up a notch, add something completely different, give it a new twist. This is called developing a recipe and is fun but can be frustrating if you are looking to duplicate one of those 'developed' recipes. Good luck.

• Carrie

I'll do you one better. I call it Super Spud. Saute everything except the parsley, green onions, cheese & milk (& potato, of course) for about 2 minutes. Add the cheese & milk until the cheese melts. Open the potato, pour it all in & sprinkle with parsly & scallions (green onions). Two essential keys are to use fresh parsley & definately do not use that cheese food product stuff. 1POTATO, BAKED 5 SMALL BROCCOLI FLORETS 2 OZ. HAM, SLICED IN SHORT STRIPS 2 TBS. ONION, DICED 1-2 LARGE MUSHROOMS, SLICED 4 OZ. AMERICAN CHEESE, DICED 1 OZ. BUTTER ½ TSP. GARLIC, CHOPPED PINCH CREOLE SEASONING 1 TSP. PARSLEY, CHOPPED 1 TBS. GREEN ONIONS, CHOPPED 1 OZ. MILK