Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Why is McCain picking a fight with Russia, Pakistan and Iran? Wag the dog?

McCain's policies would have us militarily over-extended around the world, continue to decimate the US economy, and re-establish a conflict with Russia. Is McCain an idiot or just a moron?

Zeep---McCain has called for re-evaluation of Georgia's admission to NATO. If Georgia were admitted to NATO, Russia's aggression against Georgia must be considered an aggression against all NATO's members.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080812/pl_afp/usvote...

Favorite Answer

The wag-the-dog movie was entertaining. Neither candidate is an idiot or moron. Obama, my candidate of choice, seems more belligerent about Pakistan than McCain does to me, and Pakistan has protested some of his comments. I don't think either candidate is "picking a fight" with any nation. It's part of the normal job of a senator, a presidential candidate, or a president to criticize military aggression. Perhaps I've missed a news story today, but I haven't read any talk from Bush, McCain, or Obama threatening to intervene militarily in the Russian attack on Georgia.

I agree with you that McCain's policies would have us militarily over-extended around the world and continue to decimate the U.S. economy. That's why I'm voting for Obama, in a sentence. But I've thought highly of McCain for decades, and honestly thought that he sounded a lot more presidential in terms of immediate reactions to the Russian invasion than Obama did, and that he's less likely to re-establish a conflict with Russia. (Not that I think Obama is likely to do so at all!)

The only time we actually came close to nuclear conflict during the Cold War was when the USSR took JFK to be young, inexperienced, and weak, and tested him by sending nuclear missiles to Cuba. I think of this every time Obama is compared to Kennedy.

Edit: I just read a headline that said McCain explicitly ruled out any military action against Russia or a return to the Cold War. But I agree with you about NATO, if he's been talking about that since the invasion of Georgia - very bad idea.

As an Independent, I think that Senator McCain's comments during the past few days regarding Russia and Georgia really were overstepping some boundary lines....

He is a Senator who happens to be running for President....However, we still have a sitting President, regardless of his approval ratings, who along with his administration are still in charge until a new administration goes into office. I think Senator McCain's speaking so aggressively about Russia as if he were the end all of all answers, while not speaking to one of his chief campaign advisor's having been an ardent lobbyist for Georgia....has not only been out of line, but very disrespectful towards the sitting President....

Our relationship with Russia is tenuous to say the least, these outspoken remarks aren't helping the situation at all and are being paid close attention to by the world.....

I agree that his aggressive reaction to situations such as this, or anything military give rise for concern....

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2008/06/09/mccai...

http://thinkprogress.org/wonkroom/2008/04/30/scheu...

The message is that in dangerous times, you need a tough guy as president, to keep you safe. But the strategy can backfire, as it did for Goldwater in 1964.

It will be interesting to see whether it succeeds for McCain. People are still nervous about terrorists, and we haven't forgotten 9/11. On the other hand, the Iraq fiasco has made us wary of trigger-happy politicians.

Regarding your last question I shall remain neutral. But the following quotation from wikipedia may be helpful as a reference:

"Moron was originally an English scientific term, coined in 1910 by psychologist Henry H. Goddard from the Greek word moros, which meant "dull" (as opposed to "sharp"), and used to describe a person with a mental age located between 8 and 12 on the Binet scale. It was once applied to people with an IQ of 51-70, being superior in one degree to "imbecile" (IQ of 26-50) and superior in two degrees to "idiot" (IQ of 0-25)."

LOL. Are you sure he is picking a fight?

What he may be repeating is the official line. Gee, what do you have against the man?

Russia apparently violated the ceasefire truce worked by the French, and sent armor (tanks) deep into Georgia etc.

The US is supposed to say "you should NOT do that (take advantage of the fact that there is a ceasefire being honored by Georgia).

You know the old stories about Iran and Pakistan, both have nuclear capabilities.

Research before you post your question please.

NO - this situation in georgia was set up by the bush- mccain ticket.

there is no way that georgia would have started this conflict without express backing from washington. we armed them, we sponsor them and now we can give them more aid and military hardware. bush and john mccain did help start a war to try and get elected.

McCain will try anything to get elected. He is a senile idiot who is almost dead. WE have to live with the repercussions of McCain's mistakes.

McCain has surrounded himself with people as in favour of war as he is. The result is that McCain sees nothing but support for pushing for more war.

Your entire government is pro war though. McCain for invading Iran, Hillary in favour of bombing Pakistan, Obama of conquering Afghanistan, Lieberman in favour of bombing everywhere except Israel.

It is kind of hard to have a vote on whether to keep the war going when every candidate you can vote for wants more war.

McCain is a WAR MONGER

If McCain Win

get Ready for WW3

Will Iran has oil and McCain's chief foreign policy adviser takes money from the country of Georgia.

McCain is a LOSER!! and all he wants is more power and start picking on other countries so that he can have another war again!!