Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Is it fair to say overall RZA has Produced better work than Dr Dre...???

• Favorite Answer

It's really tough to call because they have such different styles.

Dre has been responsible for most of Death Row's best albums, Eminem, plus the numerous other artists he has produced great tracks for (Ras Kass, Nas etc). That Dre sound is unique and you know it as soon as you hear it. He has certainly been far more consistent than RZA.

But... I feel he could do with switching things up a bit more and taking some creative risks as an artist. And there have been a lot of rumours about him taking credit for work that other people have had big input on (one of the initial reasons for Tupac beefing with him, allegedly).

RZA has also been responsible for some amazing records. From his work with the Wu, his raw and rugged production on 36 Chambers and his atmospheric, almost menacing sound on Liquid Swords to his work with other Wu members (I'll spare you the list, you all know the best ones). Plus, there's his work on movie soundtracks - the two most memorable for me being Kill Bill and Ghost Dog: The Way of The Samurai. I think it's fair to say that RZA is the more innovative of the two.

But... he also fails hards when he gets it wrong and I think becomes so caught up in creating new sounds that he pays no attention to the artist and what gels (like on 8 Diagrams)

On consistency, Dre takes it. On personal preference, I give it to RZA because I'd rather hear a true artist get it wrong from time to time than a perfectionist who takes no risks.

Consistency matters, but it isn't everything. I give it to RZA, but he'd better step up his game soon.

The first six (the best) hip-hop Albums they produced

RZA DRE

Enter the wu St8 out of CPT

Tical Eazy Duz it

Return to the 36 chambers No One can do it better

Cubian Linx Ni66az4life

Liquid Swords The Chronic

Ironman Doggystyle

Forever

Source(s): Out of all the hip-hop albums Dre & Rza produced front to back by themselves basically those are the ones that really mean something to me, RZA wins to me, Dre hasn't produced every song on an album without some else producing it with him (like Mel-man on 2001) since doggystyle 1993, that's 15 years, if dre was better than Rza he would produce an entire album on his own without co-producers, like preem or pete rock, they've even said Detox has a bunch of Co-producers shm

its a close call... they both made a lot of good songs, but i like dre better because EVERY song he's on, or producing is awsome, but every now and then I hear a song i dont like aon a wuttang album... all in all they are both really good, but Dre's group kinda got screwed by their manager and RZA's had the best deals ever cause they could go on their own , and still stay together and make another album every now and then

Nope. I'm going to go against the grain on this one. Dre has done a lot of production during a lot of years. Just to name a few he's done production for Mary J. Blige, Eve, No Doubt, Truth Hurts, 50 Cents, Eminem, Timbaland, Missy Elliot, The Game, Raekwon, Snoop Dog, Jay-Z, Justin Timberlake, L.A.X., Nas & Foxy Brown. If you take a look at the list of artists that he has produced and then the songs and albums that he has produced it shows that "overall" he is the best. He's also done music scores for movies and he is an actor. He's a family man, with a son, "Hood Surgeon" who is hoping to follow in his footsteps.

Peace & Love :)

I agree with Bonnie. It's a really tough comparison because the styles are so different. I slightly want to go with Rza, but I may be biased against Dre.

ehhhh... idk... RZA might've produced better beats, but Dre is *STILL* the overall better producer imo. He's branched out much more than RZA, working with hip hop *AND* R&B artists from all regions. RZA's work has been mostly confined to Wu Tang and the East Coast. Its pretty unbalanced in that aspect if you ask me, but then that's not really part of the question lol

• Spice

nah, they are both great producers but I think Dre is more consistent with putting out good songs. He has rarely made weak tracks, while I can think of several weak RZA tracks.

I think Dre's changing his style a bit. Check out these recent Dre instrumentals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYv12Z-8AeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAoiv2011-s

• I definitely prefer RZA's production over Dre's. I thought it was just me.

RZA. somewhat. He has a greater selection of fabric, he looks to have a greater understand-how of music concept, he can cope with 8 person MCs. . . and neither look solid at sticking to launch dates

yea, its fair

RZA is more creative and innovative than Dre. You can basically predict what Dre gonna produce.