Harry
Harry asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 decade ago

WOMEN: Do you wear a two-piece bathing suit?

If so, would you wear your bra and panties in public (not the water)?

In many cases, the underwear would cover more than the swim suit. Are we conditioned to think that the labeling/type of clothing (underwear vs. swimsuit) makes it "right" or "wrong" in public?

Perhaps I should have said, "Would you feel uncomfortable wearing your bra and panties in public?"

My whole point is not about ME and what I like, but about how we as people are conditioned.

Favorite Answer

I LOVE this question! I just asked something like this. lol!!! The only difference between to two is the "material" they are made out of!

The bikini's show JUST as much skin as bra and underwear!!!

It's our culture. It teaches us the way to think ... and we are blind to anything that questions it. We try to defend the box instead of stepping outside of it and examining it.

• I feel the same way. I do wear a two piece, but it's a tanktini and covers a lot.

But I understand what you mean about bra's and panties being less revealing than some swimsuits. I think you're right - we're conditioned to accept clothing based on its label.

It's the situation. You're wearing a two-piece because that's what you feel comfortable with when you GO IN THE WATER, or when you're trying to get a tan. But normally you aren't doing those things, so of course you wouldn't parade around in your bra and panties. I think to some extent people do accept it more when it's a bathing suit. Just like you wouldn't look at a guy and call him trashy if he was at a beach in his swim trunks, but seeing a guy walking down a public street like that might be. I think that there are a lot of bikinis out there that look skanky, but there are a lot of them that are tasteful too. Interesting question!

• Lucy

Most swim suits are made of thicker material than bras & panties so they're not see through when wet, but some are still extremely revealing & I wouldn't wear one of those.

When I was in school we weren't allowed to wear short skirts but the cheerleaders were allowed to wear them to class on game day. I suppose it was considered okay since they had matching panties (often in full view). I would have been sent home for wearing the exact same outfit without the school logo. How's that for a double standard? And here's another; it's perfectly acceptable for a celebrity to dress like a hooker while anyone else would be admonished for it.

• A good example of how our society is conditioned is the Olympic beach volleyball event. Why do the men wear shirts but the women wear bikinis? Yes these women are extremely fit, but they are still being sexualized. Is that the message we want to send to our young women? That they need to always be sexual? it's too bad, I think the volleyball teams could at least put on a tank top.

If you saw someone walk down the street in a bikini you immediately know it is just that. If you see someone walk around in underwear and a bra you can tell the difference. "Right" and "wrong" in this case are formed by people's personal opinions.

Personally, I wear a one-piece. =)

yes, i wear 2 pieces, but I would not wear my undergarments in public. yes, i know, same thing, but in my swimsuit, I'm in the water, and I try to hide my body, because I don't like it when people just look at my body. It kind of makes me feel uncomfortable...

• :

Oh I would never do that because I am porous and when I go in the water I fill up with it and they have to get a hoist to get me out or empty the pool.

Once the coast guard had to use a tug to drag me to the shore. They inflated me with 100 rubber rings and a prodded me with a barge pole.

• Heidi

It's totally different. Just because it "shows" the same amount of "skin" doesn't make it the same type of garment.

That's like asking "Would you wear a negligee in public? It's basically a dress."

i never wear two pieces i public like a publi cbeach i dont want pererted guys looking at me ...and in moct cases ...two pieces show more than ur bra and under wear do