Pup asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Is it true that "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"?

Favorite Answer

I really don't think so.

First - we have to separate physical and psychological stronger.

If you break your leg, it does heal ( hopefully) but it doesn't make you stronger.

In the psychological realm their are traumas that some people gain strength from, while others, experiencing the same trauma, are crushed.

never the same.

So i think the truth is SOMETIMES "that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

Now, just to confuse this a little more, i think that BELIEVING that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger is a good belief to have, because it can keep you going through some tough times.

• Alexis

You are paraphrasing a quote by Friedrich Nietzsche, a German philosopher.

Sometimes things that almost kill you emotionally, can leave you emotionally paralyzed for the rest of your life. It depends on whether it's an emotional issue, physical, or a spiritual one. Your personality and temperament play a large role in how well you overcome adversity. So, there is no one correct answer to that question.

It's true. Harsh, but true. What I think it means is that we are resilient beings and we can handle a lot more than what our mind will think, and we can take any situation...and I mean ANY, and it can be a valuable lesson. The tragedy is that people tend to claim victim to situations and stop growing...and in worse cases, suicide. You have a choice to become stronger instead of weaker.

Of course it does. However it doesn't mean "physically" stronger. It means "what doesn't kill you makes you wiser, but as a motivational phrase that wouldn't work. Too many people class being "wiser" a weakness, so we end up with "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" :)

YES. example: wen you brake up with a guy. the things that he did wrong to you you learn from them and then it will make you smarter and stronger in the next relationship.

Yes

psychologically in theory, yes..

i mean, you should be stronger, and smarter during or after any experience to be able to deal with the complexities it added to your life, right?

seems like a natural progression

Psychologically, Yes. Physically, tends to do the opposite...

In my opinion,,, hell yes. I've been through SO much in my life, and I am only where I am today because I wanted to live past it all.

• Cat

If you believe that pain builds character - then yes. However - YOU HAVE THE POWER TO CHOOSE ! If you choose to be weak, then so be it, if you choose to be whatever, that is what you will be.