Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

Is Lime Wire bad for your computer?

Lime Wire is a software that lets you download songs.

• Paul
    Best Answer

Lime Wire as a program isn't bad for your computer. When you leave it running - which you're encouraged to do - it slows down the puter considerably. Also, a lot of the files you can download from Lime Wire are full of viruses. I got two Trojans when I downloaded a movie and had to reformat to get rid of them. This happened even though I let my antivirus prog check the file before I opened it.

Needless to say, I don't use Lime Wire anymore.

Yeah...(If you download right now we will send you a bunch of spyware and virus' for absolutley nothing.*)

*Note Lime Wire is not responsable for any damage that my occur to your computer as a result of downloading MP3s from Lime Wire.

I never had a problem with it though. If you really want to download songs, get firefox download helper plugin and go on youtube site and download the flv file. Then download flv extractor and just extract the audio. Much safer. Virus or no virus depends on what you download. songs should be fine in my opinion

Source(s): I had Limewire

Yes, i had lime wire and i had to delete everything i had ever had on my computer it was a nightmaree.. but then i found Frostwire, its the exact same practicall but its blue.. you know how limewire's green, well iv never had any trouble with Frostwire, so i say its a much better choice ;D x

Watch out for small files. An MP3 files is usually about 2 or 3Mb or more depending on the bitrate.

Anything less than 1Mb might be a virus. But that's no guarantee.

Limewire does carry alot of viruses. If you do not have any kind of insurance for your computer you may think about not getting limewire because if you do end up getting a virus from limewire it may end up costing you hundreds of dollars. I believe there is a safer downloading program called frost wire it is also free and carries less viruses!! =]

hope i helped

http://www.frostwire.com/

Yes, I had to re- configure my laptop after about 100 + songs, it gave me so many bugs, and I don't download anything 'perverted', just nice, normal music... but, I have it now and I download up to fifty, then delete them from my Limewire library. The only downside to that plan is that they won't play on your iTunes once you delete them from Limewire, but they will still play on your iPod, even if you sync. I hope I helped!

• mike H

just make sure your computer is very well protected against viruses and spyware, plus a good firewall is a must, lime wire emule etc have many files that are riddled with nasty stuff.

Mike

link below for computer security

....it's not particualrly 'bad' for your computer....unless as mentioned you download some dodgy files....though if you have virus protection it shouldn't really be a problem....though there are stories going around about people getting traced from it therefore other people can access your computer...though im not sure how true that is.....anywho i have limewire && have had for some time now && thankfully my computers fine....hope it works out well for you too... :)

It can take up a lot of memory and some downloads have viruses. If you download a virus, it hurts your computer. Good luck. I hope this helps.