American Christians: Are you being persecuted

There seems to be a sentiment lately that Christianity is being "oppressed" or "silenced" or "threatened", that somehow American society is attacking Christianity, trying to shut it down, etc.

According to www.adherents.com, 76.5% of the American population identified as Christian in 2001. Atheists, who seem to be the target of much of the blame for this "oppression", make up 0.4%.

(ref: http://www.adherents.com/rel_USA.html#re... )

Much of what I have seen as evidence of this so-called oppression is gay rights, removal of religious material from public school curriculum, banning mandatory prayer in public schools, removal of religious icons in government buildings, etc. Note that no one has said what cannot be taught in the home, nor has prayer been banned from schools (it just can't be mandatory or teacher-led during class time).

Honestly, I find myself scratching my head over these accusations that Christians are being persecuted in the United States. I see that people of minority religions are perhaps finding themselves on more equal footing with Christians than they used to be. I see that those who do not identify as Christians are less afraid to openly practice/worship/etc as they choose.

I guess I'm failing to understand how any of this adds up to "persecution" or "oppression" of Christians. Please enlighten me: Are you, an American Christian, being persecuted/oppressed, and if so, how? In what ways have you been restricted, threatened, persecuted, oppressed, or otherwise hindered in your practice of your religion, your rights as an individual of that religion, etc?

no1home2 -- yes, it IS a question. I want to know in what ways Christians are being persecuted in the United States, because I seriously just do NOT see it.

• Mr. E
    Favorite Answer

No, I am not being persecuted. Somehow the term has come to mean that when someone disagrees with you that constitutes persecution...sad

I do believe that we have given up a lot of ground in the United States, and I am very unhappy about it, but to call it "persecution" is a bit over the top.

Yes, there are those who are trying to "silence" us.

And yes, we are being "threatened".

If we don't start fighting back, eventually, real "persecution" as our fathers have suffered in the past is inevitable.

(The whole reason there IS a United States is because our fathers were fleeing religious persecution...how Ironic is THAT??)

I see absolutely NO reason why religious symbols that have stood where they have been for decades, if not for centuries, are all of a sudden "insulting", and need to be taken away.

I see absolutely NO justification for not allowing a valedictorian the right to thank her God in her speech before the school. By the same token, there is absolutely NO reason why students cannot be told that some folks believe that there is an Intelligent Mind behind the formation of the universe, nor can I see how this is "teaching religion". It is simply a fact. Why are *some* people so terrified of it??

I see absolutely NO reason why all of a sudden, we must accept what amounts to sexual perversion, no matter how you might wish to dance around it.

I see NO reason whatsoever to begin degrading our traditional ethics and morality, just to appease a tiny handful of the population.

No, this is not "persecution"...at least, not yet. However, if some of these minority groups continue to get their way, I fear that it won't be too long before our kids are worshipping in a dark basement somewhere...IF they dare to worship at all....

EDIT:

Let's not be so quick to declare that there is no physical threat to Christians....remember Columbine? Yes, there are idiots out there that would like to murder me because I am a Christian...and giving them even more freedom just doesn't make me comfortable.

• Arlene5 years agoReport

I would say yes to the question. I had to move out of my last apt for no apparent reason except that they knew I was a Chrisitan (in CA) and on my new job, I feel I get made fun of in very discreet ways.

I would say absolutely not. If anything, Evangelical, American Christians are the ones persecuting others. How many times have we heard about the groups that are out picketing the funerals of our fallen soldiers? How many times have Evangelical Christian groups banned together to protest the rights and freedoms of others based on religion, race and sexual preference? As I said, Evangelical American Christians are the ones doing the persecuting. Blessings,

We are persecuted. How long have you hung out in R&S?

The sleeping giant has not awakened.

What gives the 25% in America the right to dismiss the 76%?

By the way your little organization the AM is a hate organization against religions. Many AM's were kicked off YA for their practice of attacking the religious so don't tell me there is no persecution of Christians when you are guilty of it!!!

They're not. But it is built into their religion because jesus said they would be persecuted and without "an enemy" the leaders have no glue to hold them together.

So they yell persecution when stores want to say Happy Holidays to include everyone. They latch onto every little thing and then blow it out of proportion just so they keep their people in the churches and get their money.

It silly, there is no way in a country that is 85% christian (the study I saw), 99% of the Congress and the President are all christians, are they even close to being persecuted.

i am an american christian and i don't feel threatend because i'm strong in my religion and i know many people who are strong in theres i do feel that my religion gets attacked on some degree because people always throw up the past and how christianity was the cause of alot of torture and death and while alot of people were killed and suffered it wasn't my religion that caused it the people who commited those crimes didn't do it because they were christians they did it because they were very evil people and used religion as an excuse. to be a christian mercy and forgives are the key and to shed anothers blood is a sin. to some degree i feel that christianity is being shut down because children really don't get a choice i think religion should be presented to kids and they should choose wether or not they believe and not just christianity i have nothing against other religions , i believe that choice is being taken away, if a childs parents are atheists and don't go to church and religion is not aloud in school how will they ever even hear the possibility of god i think thats a little unfair but those are my personal oppinions, god bless

We are not opressed like our brothers and sisters in other countries no. But we do face those who call us crazy, and just think we are stupid. Honestly as a christian we know that we will have some kind of persecution because Jesus says, no servant is greater than his master, they will hate you because they hated me. He is talking about the world. Now about the 76% christians in america. If a man told you he was a tree that doesnt make him a tree, and if he says he's a christian it doesnt make him a christian. A true Christian is someone who devotes his life to God, that follows the ways that Jesus taught us, and that shares the Good news with others. The good news is this, We are all sinners and are going to hell, but Jesus came and took away our sin by taking our place of judgment, so that whoever believes in Jesus Christ and repents of thier sin, can live and have a personal relationship with him on earth and forever in heaven! Praise the Lord!

I'm in Texas, and don't have a problem with religion. Of course the schools with prayer, government buildings etc have taken away alot of the public billboards, but it doesn't effect me in the least. My children have been taught as well as the grandkids on religious matters, so I do not personally feel threatened in any way. If it does come to that in the future, then I will die for my Lord. Right now, it is just sad that the government has decided that it's not fair to atheist's belief that their children be exposed to prayer in schools and have taken on their rights. I feel my children and grandchildren's rights were taken away to pray in school, but I dare anyone to come to my home and tell me I can't pray or worship my Lord. If so, I will have to be forgiven for leading them out my gate with a magnum 44

How can an 80% majority be persecuted? They are not being allowed to shove their beliefs down others' throats. That's what they call persecution. No American xian would have the spiritual or personal fortitude to endure the persecution their betters--REAL Christians--have in time passed suffered.

• Dave

"76.5% of the American population identified as Christian in 2001."

and did you know that only 30% of those people who claim they are Christian believe that Jesus is the only way to heaven? which is so far against the core Christian belief that it would be similar to saying "I'm an atheist, but I think there is a god"

and i do agree that American Christians don't know how simple our persecution is (there is some but not often, and usually not that bad) and probably should go to sites like http://persecution.net/ to see the stories of people who are actually risking their lives for God.

No, I'm not being persecuted. The American mainstream media certainly doesn't seem to like Christianity but I'm not being crucified or hurt like some Christians in other countries. I think we should be grateful for the protection we have and focus on helping others instead of pitying ourselves.