Question about replacing a light switch that controls room light?

Ok, here's the background: Room #1: Light switch never controlled the ceiling fan, replaced all outlets and switch (not to fix just to remodel), no change of course. Room #2: Light switch DID control ceiling fan, after replacing all, it did not work. I learned that if I broke the jumper on the near... show more Ok, here's the background:

Room #1: Light switch never controlled the ceiling fan, replaced all outlets and switch (not to fix just to remodel), no change of course.

Room #2: Light switch DID control ceiling fan, after replacing all, it did not work. I learned that if I broke the jumper on the near receptacle to the door and everything should work, which it now does.

Here's the thing, in the second room the receptacle that I broke the jumper on only had three wires (black, red, and white). When I looked at the other room both receptacles near the door have TWO commons. Wondering why the wiring is different. Is there anything quick and easy I can do to get that switch to control the light? It's been inoperative since I got the house. Why would two adjoining bedrooms be wired different. Both rooms have had those ceiling lights all along. I just am weary at doing anything given the different setups (extra common) on that room's receptacles. It seems that the three wire outlet is the only one that is switchable, is this correct?