Do you think Russia’s actions in Georgia are justified?

I mean the interview of Russian Deputy Prime Minister. http://edition.cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2008/08...

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, Russia's actions are both justified and adequate.

2 Visor, you're wrong in many of your points.

Perhaps this is due to propaganda style of CNN and BBC coverage of the situation.

South Ossetian conflict in Georgia started when then-president Zviad Gamsahurdia cancelled Ossetian autonomy, and not because of Russia's will.

Passports weren't given to South Ossetians as a special action. Any citizen (not only Ossetian) of former USSR had the right to get Russian passport - this right was given by Russia's citizenship laws. This was to prevent situation of people becoming having no citizenship, and S.Ossetian situation was just such because of the conflict with Tbilisi.

S. Ossetians by no means were willing to live in one state with Georgia since 1992, no matter how wide autonomy Saakashvili would promise today. So the ethnic cleansing were the only means for him to fulfill pre-election obligations to Georgians on 'restoring territorial integrity'.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Of course they weren't justified, they planned the whole damn thing! Russia handed out passports to South Ossetians by the hundreds of thousands, and they just bided their time, waiting for Georgia to try and reclaim the break-away area. Then, when Georgia asserted it's right to reclaim the area, Russia launched the invasion, claiming they were protecting their own citizens. It's a bloody war crime. Why would they do this one may ask? Well, maybe it has something to do with the fact that Saakashvili undermines the Kremlin and criticizes Russia every chance he gets, and he is extremely pro-West, and not to mention that ever-so-precious oil pipeline going from Azerbaijan through Georgia. Personally, I think that Russia has felt that it's standing in the world has diminished significantly since the collapse of the Soviet Union, and it is seeking to reclaim it's influence in world affairs. Just remember, this is exactly the same situation that occurred in Germany before WWII. It annexed a region (the Rhineland) that it claimed was ethnically German, just as Russia is "liberating" South Osetia because it is ethnically Russian. The international community must react with more than harsh words and inconsequential resolutions, before this conflict has any potential to escalate.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No chance whats so ever. The Russian Prime Minister literally took the opposition to take the area near Georgia by force and wage war on Georgia!

Source(s): www.cnn.com
  • 1 decade ago

It depends on whom you'll ask. It's all a political game.

Take the Iraq War, for example. If you ask the Americans, they will say that the invasion of Iraq is justified. If you ask Russia, they will say it's not justified.

The invasion of Georgia is no different. If you ask the Russians, they will say it's justified. If you ask the Americans, they will say it's not justified.

So, there is no one answer to your question. Even if you read the news or watch TV. They are also biased. The American media says things that's favorable to the US. Russian media says things that's favorable to Russia.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No, Russia is using the wrong actions of the Georgians to take back Georgia. This is the same thing Hitler did when he invaded Poland to start WWII. Hitler said that he had to invade to protect the germans living in Poland form the Poles. Sounds to me like exactly what Putin is doing saying he has to invade Georgia to protect Russians in Georgia.

Hmmmmm do i smell WWIII

• Hodaya
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

VISOR - Russia did NOT enter Georgian territory.

Of course , the DPM is right. I am very glad the US media has finally given Russian the right to speak out. Before, they were portraying things from a totally biased point of view.

• 1 decade ago

As an American I say 'no' for Democracy reasons, but I'm also glad to have Russia back as their old self. Because Alkeada is such a boring enemy.

Oh wait, I keep forgetting China wants to play on the swing set too...Give them time, until the womens volleyball tourney is over.

Mean while, alternative energy... You have to love comedy.

Buy Conoco it's at $80.00, the sell price is at least $120.00 in 12 months.

• Visor
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I think there is no justification for bombing all of Georgia or entering its territory.

Especially form Russia who burned down all of Chechnya for trying to get independence.

Might doesn't make it right.

And for the record, shooting started on aug. 1st when Georgian villages got shelled from Osetian side.

As already mentioned here and in may other places, it was Russia who provoked separatists movements in all former soviet republics wherever they could.

"Russian" citizens they're claiming to be protecting there in fact are locals who were given Russian passports without any formal procedures, on foreign soil.

And in general no country would tolerate on its territory armed separatist group.

P.S. Chris - S.O. is not ethnically Russian. As of today it is ethnically Osetian, after Georgian population was forced to leave with Russian military and financial backing, during early 90s.

They're Russian by passports which Russian government handed out later to justify their actions apparently.

Talk about "unexpected turn" of events...

2 Deeply unprejudiced - Pardon, but last time I've checked the map Gori, Poti, Zugdidi, Senaki and other cities were still in Georgia. I understand Russia doesn't really consider Georgia or any other former soviet republic countries as "independent" and gets very irritated when they act independently, but officially and in the eyes of UN Russia did enter Georgian soil and conducted military action well outside of the conflict zone.

2 Xander - I think your info is off on few points.

Conflict in S.O. started before Z.G. became president, but national tensions there were partly his fault, no denying that.

However, if not Russian interference and fueling local conflicts that one most likely would've been resolved long ago.

It was Russia's will and politics for last 200+ years in Caucasus. It is Russia's money and arms today keeping those regional conflicts alive and I fail to see how or by what standard Russia should be given peacekeeper status anywhere in the world.

Passports were given to S.O. and Abkhazia citizens as a special action. I have Russian friends who have relatives and ex-colleagues stuck in former republics w/o Russian passports for over 10 year. Which is how I first heard of those passports. They're ethnically Russians, some were even born in Russia, but were sent to serve or work in republics... They can't get passports due to famous Russian bureaucracy for years and now you want us to believe that over 100000 people in 2 different regions getting passports in few weeks was no special action?

Either way, according to your logic Russia could give Russian passports to any group of former USSR citizens and then invade the place where they live to protect them? I doubt that's how international law works.

Let's not forget that S.O. separatists were getting Russian arms and money long before they got Russian passports.

Also, the fact that all Georgian population was forced out from S.O. long before this last conflict started does look like ethnic cleansing...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In this world now you make your own "justification"

• 1 decade ago

did you hear something about tzhinvali (south osetia village)?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.