What is a Monday-morning quarterback?

"Carrie" by Stephen King is one of my favorite books of all time. Having read it several times, I have come across this phrase ... "We have only skimpy hearsay evidence upon which to lay our foundation in this case, but even this is enough to indicate that a “TK” potential of immense magnitude existed within Carrie White, The great tragedy is that we are now all Monday-morning quarterbacks …"

I have never been quite sure what is meant by a Monday-morning quarterback... Does anyone else know?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Tom P
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

A Monday Morning quarterback is a person who second guesses another person's decisions after the fact. The saying is based on Monday morning water cooler conversations where office workers talk about the football games that occurred on Sunday. They often second guess the decisions made by the coach, or quarterback that did not work out very well.

• 1 decade ago

Monday morning quarterback

n. Informal

One who criticizes or passes judgment from a position of hindsight.

Basically it was intended for those who talked at work or some place, Monday morning about what their teams QB did wrong in the game on Sunday.

• 1 decade ago

A Monday morning quarterback is someone who claims to make the winning calls AFTER the game has been played.

• 1 decade ago

A person who analyzes the mistakes they made they day after they've made them. Derived from complaining over quarterbacks on monday morning after the sunday game.

Source(s): Urban Dictionary
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

a monday morning quarterback tells everyone what he would have done,in a crisis say, after the crisis is over. I think it comes from guys talking about sundays game,and how it should have been played.

• 1 decade ago

It is the same thing as "Hindsight is always 20/20" meaning that now that the situation has passed and we know the outcome the right path and/or choice is clear. It is so easy for us to say after the fact well we should have done this or we should have done that now that we know the outcome.

Source(s): Here is the exact definition: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mon...
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We have monday morning quarter backs they are on 1zb on mon mornings on the radio. They think they know every thing. but know nothing about sport

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.