Pupsik=Luff asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

What woods are safe for rabbits to chew?

My rabbit just started chewing on wires and broke my speakers yesterday (my dad fixed them)! I read that rabbits like to chew on wood, but what kind of wood is safe for them to chew?

Please Help! I don't want her to ruin my entire computer!!!

Favorite Answer

Rabbits are herbivores, meaning that they eat only vegetation, and they do well on high fiber diets. Since their teeth grow throughout their lives, if malocclusion (misaligned bite) occurs, overgrown teeth may result. Rabbits should be provided with safe wood, such as untreated pine, to chew to help keep the teeth ground down.

Do Not feed branches from apricot, cherry, peach, plum and redwood trees, listed as toxic by poison centers.

For ultimate safety, you might avoid the crabapple just in case. Seems that fruit trees have the most propensity to contain toxins. Also avoid cedar and juniper. I would think other hardwoods such as oak, pecan or walnut would be OK.

Some of your rabbit's favorite toys are common household items. Stuff an empty toilet paper or paper towel roll with hay and your bunny has a safe chew toy and will consume the hay as well. A cardboard box with an entrance and exit cut into it will provide your rabbit with a playhouse he can hide in, run through, and jump on. Some rabbits will devote a lot of time to shredding newspaper or an old copy of the yellow pages. Other toys from around the house are paper grocery sacks, round oatmeal boxes, canning jar rings, non-plastic coated paper cups, a can with a pebble inside, a straw whisk broom, clean hard plastic bottle tops, or a towel (if your rabbit does not eat the towel).

Most rabbits enjoy digging and chewing. Give your rabbits toys that he can dig in or chew and he will be less likely to amuse himself by digging or chewing in places that you'd rather he didn't. Fill a box with shredded paper for digging. Good chew toys include sea-grass or maize mats, untreated wood (no redwood or cedar), rabbit safe branches or twigs, cardboard, untreated willow or wicker baskets, and dried pinecones

• ?

Safe Wood For Rabbits

• walker

1

Source(s): How to Work Wood http://woodworkingprojects.enle.info/?Ps6b

Phone books are actually widely recommended by rabbit lovers everywhere as a fun toy for rabbits. The ink used in the phone book and newspapers is not harmful for them, and they enjoy tearing up the paper. I've had rabbits for almost 20 years who have always had access to newspaper and phone books. I've seen many rabbits eat the paper and have never once had any problems with it. The ink is non-toxic. As for wood, you need to make sure the wood is dried out if it is from fruit trees (except for apple trees - their twigs are fine fresh from the tree and they are the best choice). Another favourite of rabbits is pinecones. Mine love them and they happily chew on them, roll them around and carry them. They are good for their teeth and are also perfectly safe.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): woods safe rabbits chew: https://biturl.im/8jyzh

When I had rabbits I gave them maple to chew. They never had any problems. Most of my nest boxes were made of pine. They chewed them with no troubles. Hardwood is best because it lasts longer.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axilA

my sisters rabbit often eats the yellow pages and stuff like newspaper and card board also wooden chairs and it is completly fine.i dont think its dangerous for rabbits to do this.but i wouldent give them waxed paper.

you can buy loads of wood and things from pet shops!

I was curious about this too

thanks to each and every one of you for the replies!