Lady Godiva asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

where are some good places to look for information about bringing in live stock into the US

I was looking into a breed of sheep that is in few numbers in the united states(they're growing, just not as fast) and is growing in Great Britain(faster then the us population). I wanted, if i was to raise these types of sheep, to bring in a "fresh" line into the us population and have better breeding stock/choices.

so, where would i find out about US rules on bringing animals into the country? i know there is quartine(sp) and you have to pay a good bit to bring an animal into the country, but where are the rules at and who can i ask about importing?


2 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    There are many different processes involved with importing different species of live animals into the United States. View the pages below to learn more about these processes, including the guidelines and regulations, permits and certification, and associated user fees.

    News Update

    Effective January 14, 2008, APHIS, Veterinary Services is removing restrictions placed on the importation of poultry and commercial shipments of live birds, all pet birds, hatching eggs, and unprocessed (not fully cooked) avian products from the province of Saskatchewan as a result of the highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI), subtype H7N3. This action is based on information provided to APHIS by Canada on actions described in the final report that showed the disease occurred on a single premise in southern Saskatchewan and appropriate movement controls and biosecurity measures were immediately implemented. Intensive surveillance throughout the province demonstrated that HPAI H7N3 was confined to the index premises, which was completely depopulated by September 30, 2007.

    The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, Veterinary Services (VS), National Center for Import and Export (NCIE) will be postponing the implementation date of the Veterinary Services Process Streamlining (VSPS) Web-based system to process online reservations for the USDA Animal Import Center in Miami, Florida until further notice. If you have any questions, or require further information please contact Dr. Freeda Isaac at the National Center for Import and Export at (301) 734-8364.

    Prior notification to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is required for live food animal importations.

    NOTICE: There is no requirement to give FDA prior notice to import pets not intended for human food or animal feed. For more information, please contact the FDA Prior Notice Center at 866-521-2297.

    Live Ruminants (pdf 98kb)

    This site talks mainly about importing sheep from Canada, but there is the phone number you can try,


    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    USDA website or call your local USDA office!

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.