Blood Types - Phenotypes and Genotypes

Okay - so I know about the blood types, which ones are which, and I know how to fill out a Punnett Square - BUT:

I need to answer the questions in terms of phenotypes and I don't know how to turn Ao and Bo and such from a genotype to a phenotype. Help please!!

*** So, if Ao and Bo both show up in a Punnett square is there a possibility that the child's blood type will be O?

• Ganesh
    Favorite Answer

There are actually 3 kinds of blood groups namely A, B and O, disregarding the signs and other combined special groups.....

If the genotype of the blood is AO or OA from the parents, then A is dominant and O is recessive and thus the child would have A group.

If the genotype of the blood is OO from the parents, then the child would have O group.

If the genotype of the blood is BO or OB from the parents, then B is dominant and O is recessive and thus the child would have B group.

If the genotype of the blood is AB or BA from the parents, then the child would have A or B or AB group.

Hope that helped.........

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Blood Types - Phenotypes and Genotypes

Source(s): blood types phenotypes genotypes: https://tr.im/U5RUq

Phenotypes And Genotypes

Blood types are an example of codominance. O is recessive to both A and B, but A and B are codominant.

So:

AO and AA genotypes are A phenotype.

BO and BB are B.

OO is O.

AB is AB.

• I think the 1st questions been answered nicely by the ablove people

In answer to your 2nd question

"So, if Ao and Bo both show up in a Punnett square is there a possibility that the child's blood type will be O?"

Check This Blood Type Calculator:

http://www.blood.co.uk/pages/blood_type_calculator...

Hope This Helps

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axGcF

You are correct, percentages and all! 1/2 IA IB, 1/4 IA IA, 1/4 IB IB Since the parents are both AB, they both have A alleles and B alleles, so these are the only possibilities they can pass to their children (i.e. there are no alleles for O-type (i)). I would make one note that on your phenotype/genotype listing, the correct genotype for O would be ii, as the individual gets one i allele from each parent :-)

There are three different kinds of blood proteins; A, B, and O.

Here is the list of genotypes of blood types and their respective phenotypes.

AA - A blood type

AO - A blood type

AB - AB blood type

BB - B blood type

BO - B blood type

OO - O blood type

HTH. :]

Yes there is a chance to have type O offspring. An AO & BO can have all types. They can have an AO which would be Type A, BO which would be Type B, OO which would be Type O, and AB which would be Type AB. There is a 25% chance for each type.

there are A,B,AB and O types of blood groups . O is the universal donor and AB is the universal recipient.