how much is a normal tortoise

i get £3 pocket money a week and was wondering how long it would take to buy one

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

the cheapest tortoise you can get would be at about 120 pounds so if you get 3 pounds a week you are looking at at least 40 weeks of hard saving to afford a tortoise. but you also need a good enclosure and heating, lighting which can run into about 150 pounds so to get the full set up you need to be saving for 90 weeks this would be about 1 year and 10 months of saving, but to be quite honest it would cost more than 3 pounds a week to look after a tortoise, best go for a pet that is easier to look after and cheaper as your weekly budget would not cover the care needed

Source(s): owned and loved herman and spurthgih for over 30 years
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You'll be sadly saving for a very long time. Tortoises range in price from £80 to many hundreds of pounds. Not only that but you would need to buy a tortoise table, a uv heat bulb, substrate, a good calcium supplement.... the list goes on. One thing you can do for free is find out a lot about them, here's a link to a good website that has lots of info on many species of tortoise.

http://www.tortoisetrust.org/backidx.html

And here's a really good forum you can join and you can ask as many questions as you like and plenty of people will be happy to answer them.

http://forums.shelledwarriors.co.uk/

I think if i was you i would find out all the info on tortoises i can and then wait until i can afford to look after one as tortoises are a huge responsibility and do cost a lot of money to care for.

I wouldn't ask the RSPCA for a tortoise either as according to them people shouldn't be allowed to keep them and they have some very funny ideas on how to keep them. Most rescue torts are turned over to the tortoise trust and similar organisations and fortunately they don't just give them away to just anybody. So do your research and then make up your mind about keeping one.

• 1 decade ago

about 150 so along time with £3 pocket money.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

a long, long time sorry :(

turtle are about £150 ish and then is the tank and the power of them

and £3 a week lol

how old are u 5 or something

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Vade B
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Have a word with graham n on this site, he's bored with his.

You might get a bargain, after all it's whats best for the tortoise, isn't it.

• thum
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

the hassle-free answer is plenty can selection based on the character of the animal in question, refusing foodstuff is one ordinary behaviour. no longer reacting to threats with the help of withdrawing into the shell is yet another stressful sign as is loss of pass - no strolling around. strolling with reference to the pen and ramming the perimeters of the pen is totally commonplace as my Mediterranean spur thigh has been doing that for over 3 years and remains going good. in case you ask your self them then the reaction must be for them to retreat into their shell it incredibly is actual prevented in case you confer with them jointly as coming near them then they study which you conversing to them will bring about you having some form of interaction with them. Mine has found out to renowned that as quickly as I say peas I incredibly have positioned some peas in his pen as a handle. That pronounced nevertheless endurance and spending time observing them will make it much less confusing to ensure in the event that they are ill, considering which you're extra in all probability to word if their behaviour ameliorations.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Check this persons question. You might be able to buy his

Graham N

• 1 decade ago

it actually depends on what kind of tortoise it is, the bigger the more expensive, if i were you i would buy the smallest one because eventually it will grow big and you will be able to keep it longer :) hahahahahahahaha

• 1 decade ago

It depends on the breed and the size.

Source(s): Pet shops
  • rose1
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

I am not sure that you can buy them any more, I thought they were protected now. I could be wrong. You could contact your local RSPCA they may be able to tell you where you can get one for free if they know of one. They will also be able to tell you how to care for it. Good luck

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.