I Can Never Get Hired

I’m a sophomore college student studying meteorology and I feel it’s useless for me to go to school because I apply for jobs on www.Craigslist.org and I never get a call. I apply for Clerical/Administrative jobs and they seem to never call or email me. The only jobs I have done are internships and it feels like I’m just no good. I did an internship with PG&E (Pacific Gas and Electric Company) last year, which is a Northern California public utility company that delivers gas and electricity. Maybe I should quit school because I feel that I’m not gonna go nowhere with my degree. May be I’m much stupider than thought, maybe I’m ugly or may be it’s my nationality that I look like I’m from planet Mars. I guess I will just stay unemployed. I’m not a mean person, what is it that employers don’t wanna hire. Maybe I should move to India since I look mostly Indian. America doesn’t want me in their labor force.

I need some serious advice what can I do. Should I give up? Where can I find jobs in San Francisco, CA besides craigslist? Then if I get a call for an interview I never get the job. What is wrong with me? I guess I’m a very dumb person.

Best Answer

You are not a "very dumb person" as you said, you simply have not gained formal job hunting skills. Unfortunately, this is rarely something directly taught in school. Most people have to figure it out the hard way. Here's what I've learned:

First off, ask around at your college and see if they have a career developement center or a similar department that helps students find jobs and hone their job hunting skills. They may give you a mock job interview, proofread your resume, and give you advice and tips on other job hunting strategies. Get yourself in top job hunting form as soon as possible.

Interviews: Dress up. Nice trousers, ironed collared shirt, fresh shave, and tie as a minimum. Nice suit if you have one. Be professional, be composed, be polite, be alert, be direct. Rehearse stock responses for common interview questions. "What is your best/worst trait?" and "Why should we hire you/What value would you bring to our company?" are two big ones that almost always get asked. You should never have to sit there and think up a response on the spot to big questions like these; you'll learn to spot which ones they are pretty quickly. You should have a good idea of what you are going to say planned out in advance. Always give everything a positive spin. Remember, an interview is basically a sales pitch for yourself.

Next, consider your sources. Craigslist is a popular job posting board, but it is by no means the best method for finding a job. CareerBuilder.com is the most widely used job board which showcases paid advertisements. Monster.com and Yahoo Jobs are also good ones to investigate. There are also a number of other job boards posted on the State of California Employment Development Department website (linked below). Keep in mind that an employer who values the position enough to pay to advertise for it often values the employee enough to compensate them fairly too. Companies that restrict their advertising only to free job boards may be taking cuts in other spending as well. This is not a hard-and-fast rule by any means, just something to keep in mind during your search.

Of course, the best way to find jobs is still going to be the Classifieds section of your local newspaper. Sending in hard copy resumes hasn't gone completely out of style yet--not by a long shot! Don't just look at the San Francisco Chronicle (or whatever your major newspaper is) but see if there are any newspapers that cater to a smaller area, such as the specific suburb you live in. Search online or look in your local gas station or grocery store for such publications. Some companies only advertise in these smaller publications so that they won't receive a pile of irreleveant resumes to sort through. This can give you the advantage of having far fewer people to compete with for the job. Also, employers like to hire employees who live close by since they may be more dependable in showing up to work regularly/on time. Plus, it never hurts to cut down on your commute!

Consider signing up with your local temporary staffing companies. They are a good way to find work quickly and they cut out a lot of repetition in the interviewing process as well--that is, you can fill out one application and be submitted for several positions at once. You often have the option to look for temporary *and/or* permanent/temp-to-hire positions. Make sure to sign up with several of them; don't depend on just one company to be your lifeline especilly since they can rarely predict when a certain type of job is going to come up. Temporary staffing assignments can also be a great way to build experience and job history. Remember that when you go in to interview at a staffing agency you should treat it just like any other interview. Dress up and act professionally. Also, don't be afraid to ask them for job hunting tips. Remember, staffing associates place people in jobs for a living so they know all the do's and dont's. Plus, it is in their best interest to make you look like a good candidate to their clients, so they often go ahead offer you advice anyway. I've had staffing associates figuratively tear my resume to shreds and then put it back together into a work of art before. It's part of their job to make you look good. They also usually offer skills and training opportunities for this same reason.

And lastly - Be persistent! Take the initiative to follow up with the employer first and reiterate that you are interested in *that specific job* and it doesn't hurt to briefly remind them why you'd make a great employee while you're at it. If you do get a live interview, write a short thank you note to that effect and send it to them immediately afterward.

Looking for a job is one of the hardest things you'll ever do and it takes a lot of work and time and effort. My mom always told me that the process of finding a job itself is a full time job.

Good Luck!

PS: Be extremely wary of "work from home" offers or other online solicitations. Check out anything very thoroughly before you agree to anything! (See link below for more info on such scams.)

Source(s): http://www.edd.ca.gov/ Main site - Employment Development Department for the State of California http://www.edd.ca.gov/Jobs_and_Training/Find_a_Job... Job Boards http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24132244/print/1/displ... Information on "work from home" scams
  • Jill

i would hire any sign but as you've asked, i'd say an Aquarius...just can't really vision an Aquarius being passionate about looking after someone else's child..the ones i know are quite laid back and a bit absent-minded. I'm a Cancer...i have no children at the moment.

Good luck in your search. You might want to have someone check your resume. That is the first thing a prospective employer sees before they even meet you. You might also have someone practice your interviewing skills with you. Research the company you apply for and show your interest in that company. Have some good questions ready for your interviewer. Check with your school services for assistance with the above and alumni contacts.

Craigslist is crap. Don't even get me started lol. Its the economy, thanks to Bush. Nobody is hiring it seems and when they do they are real particular. I cant even get hired at McDonald's. don't give up. stay in school. When you get a degree some employers don't care what it is in just that you have one.

maybe it's your personality..i don't believe in myself at times but when you go to interviews or answer emails, sell yourself. boast about your abilities and make yourself seem like you're the $hi+. maybe employers can sense your lack of enthusiasm and confidence so that's why they don't want to hire you. usually, i notice i get i get hired after i drink a frapuccino (sounds weird) since it makes me perky and smile a lot and that's what employers want to see..good luck!