Can you pour Sulfuric acid down the drain?

it is a pipe cleaner i am going to do an experiment with it then dispose it, can i pour it down the drain?

Favorite Answer

It is a good idea to dilute acid before pouring it down the drain. When diluting acid always add acid slowly to water. Do not add water to the acid. I don't know the strength of the sulfuric acid that you have, but I would suggest adding 1 part acid to 20 parts water before pouring it down the drain.

• Leo H

If you pour concentrated sulfuric acid in a sink it will make the water in the trap boil and it will spew hot acid back at you. I have seen this happen and someone got bad burns on his face. Turn the water on full and slowly drizzle the acid into a large amount of water.

NO please DO NOT DO THAT!

Sulfuric acid is too powerful, it can eat through metal! i would just use pipe cleaner as it is safe to pour down there. Besides, not only would you severely damage your piping, it would cause the water cleaning plant to have to go through certain measures to clean it up.

Do it slowly, with plently of water

Yes. I see no problems with doing that.