Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 decade ago

Is it safe to run while pregnant?

I love running! And I just found out I'm pregnant, only in my first month, my due date is April 21 2009. I only run on an average of 2-3 miles like every other day but there was a 1/2 marathon I wanted to do in Nov. Would it be safe for me to do the half marathon if I walk a lot of it?

Favorite Answer

if you are a runner already doctors generally say that continuing your current level of activity is fine but running a half marathon may be way too much since you are pregnant. talk to your doctor about your activity level. you'll probably have to cut out the running once you start your third trimester because your balance will be off but you could still probably jog as long as you are careful.

As long as you ran before pregnancy, but you can not let your heart rate exceed a certain amount. Just talk to your doctor when you go in.I would NOT start training for the half marathon yet, because your body isn't ready for it, It would be safe to run 2-3 miles every other day, and that is it. There will become a time later in your pregnancy where running is not an option, and swimming is best,

As long as you keep your heart rate below a certain point, running should be fine- especially if you had been running regularly before your got pregnant. My doctor said that I could exercise just as I did before, I would just have to take it easy and not let my heart rate get above 140. With the additional blood your body is taking on, this happens easily. So, your running may have to turn into jogging! And as you move further into your pregnancy, maybe even speed walking.

Exercise regularly, steadily, and don't push it!

Good, reputable article:

http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/exercise-during-pr...

Source(s): Webmd.com, my doctor, Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy, 8 mos. of a fit pregnancy, wife of a distance runner

Well, my doctor told me I could continue being as active as I was before I got pregnant unless I felt pain. This included sports.

I would think since you are already a runner it shouldn't be a problem for you this early in pregnancy but that is a question you need to ask your doctor.

You especially want to ask your doctor about the Nov run.

• I don't think there is anything wrong with it. If you are having troubles breathing while running. Like you are out of breath. That probably would be an indicator to stop. If you can't breath. The child will suffer.

I ran a lot in my pregnancy. It usually was because I was late for work and I had to ruuuuun. Haha. Pretty funny watching a huge pregnant women late for work. Can't be late. Can't be late. Teehee.

You will have to go directly to your Dr. for this one. If you are already an active runner then you will be able to continue, but probably moderately compared to what you are used to. It is important to exercise, but also to conserve your strength in pregnancy - because it takes A LOT out of you. Either way though - only your Dr. can help you with this one.

Good Luck for a healthy and happy pregnancy!

Early in your pregnancy it is OK as long as it is OK with the doctor. Later it was too uncomfortable and I was content with race walking. You don't want to be too far from a bathroom because the urge to go to the bathroom is urgent. I stuck to large malls and the gym so I can get to a bathroom quick. Hope I helped

Source(s): my experience

you need to determine to ask your OB, yet as long as you haven't any longer have been given a extreme threat being pregnant, that is going to be high-quality to proceed your customary artwork out habitual till you start up exhibiting. that is not frequently counseled to maintain working as quickly as you start up exhibiting by way of fact the extra weight of the child incredibly throws off your stability and you need to fall and harm your self or the child. in case you're worried approximately harming the child, proceed your 3 miles, yet walk them. that is nevertheless good workout and your probabilities of falling are much less. And you need to consume extra. working incredibly burns energy and a pregnant women folk ought to consume 3 hundred energy extra consistent with day than she in many cases does - particularly women folk who're determining plenty! good luck conserving up with the working, if that is high-quality'd with the help of your physician. I rarely had the flexibility to get away from mattress for the time of my first trimester, no longer to show arise and workout!!

I have a good answer to that. Last school year my Science teacher was also the track coach and she didnt run all that much but she still jogged and her baby was beautiful, healthy, weight was fine and she barely have and baby fat even just from jogging.

I am pregnant as well, and in my "What to Expect" book, it says no to running. I like to run as well, and I was curious of the same, but it says not to. The best thing to do if you are dead set on running is talk to your doc about it. Only he/she can decide whats best for you based on your history and current health.