Christians is the Law made void by faith

Like a boxing battle for truth, this lie has probably bruised and beaten more people than any other. In one corner is the church that proclaims the law is legalism and has been nailed to the cross. In the other corner is the Messiah who said, "Think not that I have come to abolish the Law and the prophets; I have... show more Like a boxing battle for truth, this lie has probably bruised and beaten more people than any other. In one corner is the church that proclaims the law is legalism and has been nailed to the cross. In the other corner is the Messiah who said, "Think not that I have come to abolish the Law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these Commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven," Matthew 5: 17-19. The issue seems pretty plain doesn't it? Heaven and earth are still here, so the Law must be too! What was wrong to do during the times of Moses is still wrong. What was commanded during the time Moses is still commanded today.

Many misunderstand and misquote Paul about this subject. Yet, if Savior didn't do away with the Law how could Paul? Grace and faith have not taken the Law's place. Consider these verses on the subject:

- "Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law," Romans 3:31

- "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein," Romans 6:1-2

- "Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good," Romans 7:12

- "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law," 1 John 3: 4

Part of the misunderstanding concerning this subject is in how we view the term "law." For many, the idea of "law" seems to be like a binding set of rules that hinder enjoyment. Don't think like this. Consider instead the Law to be like a stoplight that allows life, cautions when things aren't going right, and stops dangerous behavior. Just read Psalm 119 for insight on how we should approach the Law of Moses.

So, don't call it "law" anymore. This word is a horrible translation of the Hebrew. Instead of referring to the commandments as laws, use the Hebrew term "Torah." Torah is the ancient Hebrew word for teaching and instructions. Torah is more like instruction manual than it is a rulebook. Found within the Torah is our blueprint for living, with information on pretty much every part of life, from what to eat, to how to dress, and when to worship. "Christians usually call the Torah "the Law," because most English translations of scripture translate Torah as Law. The reason this came about is because some rabbis translated the Hebrew Scriptures into Greek, called the Septuagint. The Septuagint translated Torah into the Greek word Nomia. Nomia was used in Greek culture to mean an unalterable law. Following this tradition, the Greek New Testament also used nomia to signify the Torah. The Torah is unalterable, and technically it is Law, since breaking it does have penal consequences. (Remember, this includes all that God gave to the Prophets.) However, the Torah is first of all the teaching of a protective parent, the Most High Father, Abba, who loves His children enough to preserve them in righteousness
Update: Seminary Man the Torah never stated that to eat food with unwashed hands was a sin! That was the law of the Pharasees and thats why Yahushai said what he said about it! Seminary man needs to go back to seminary school
16 answers 16