What is chronic leukemia? And is it a bad thing?

What is chronic leukemia? And is it a bad thing?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Leukemia is classified by how quickly it progresses. Acute leukemia is fast-growing and can overrun the body within a few weeks or months. By contrast, chronic leukemia is slow-growing and progressively worsens over years.

Advertising Disclaimer

Acute versus Chronic Leukemia

The blood-forming (hematopoietic) cells of acute leukemia remain in an immature state, so they reproduce and accumulate very rapidly. Therefore, acute leukemia needs to be treated immediately, otherwise the disease may be fatal within a few months. Fortunately, some subtypes of acute leukemia respond very well to available therapies and they are curable. Children often develop acute forms of leukemia, which are managed differently from leukemia in adults.

In chronic leukemia, the blood-forming cells eventually mature, or differentiate, but they are not "normal." They remain in the bloodstream much longer than normal white blood cells, and they are unable to combat infection well.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't know if your looking for the copy and pasted answer from wikipedia or not but coming from someone who is hopefully almost in remission for ALL (a type of leukemia), chronic leukemia is yes a bad thing but much better then some other types of leukemia. Chronic leukemia moves extremly slow, so if diagnosed early although it is hard to cure, it is very treatable. Patients with chronic leukemia usually do live longer, but it still is cancer and of course many people do die from all forms of leukemia. Good Luck, i hope i helped.

• 1 decade ago

Chronic leukemia is the cancer of white blood cells in the body. There are two types of leukemia, acute and Chronic. The only difference is that without treatment acute will kill the sufferer quickly and a person with chronic leukemia will live quite a while without treatment. I assume, however, that since you are asking you, or whoever you know with leukemia has knowledge of the cancer and is going to have treatment so, no need to worry about that. Also chronic leukemia generally means that you have high amounts of white blood cells, whereas acute sufferers have too few.

This is a very common type of cancer, each year there are about 27,600 new cases of leukemia. Survival rates have increased dramatically in the past few years due to better treatments and testing methods for the disease. If you are worried about it you can always speak to your parents or doctor. There are also several websites dedicated to this affliction.

I wish you all the best.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.