Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAustraliaOther - Australia · 1 decade ago

Does Anyone Know Why The Drinking Age Is 18 In New Zealand And UK ??

Please Help...

I Really Need To Know :)

Favorite Answer

I don't know about the UK, but here in Australia the drinking age was 21 up till late 60s. At the time, youths were in the compulsory 'ballot' when they reached 20 yo to determine if they were drafted to the army. Volunteers could join the armed forces from age 18.

Protests at the time that youths were "old enough to be sent off to Vietnam, but not old enough to vote/drink" gathered weight with government, and the age was lowered.

Source(s): Memories of the time.

These days, in the eyes of the law, you are an adult at the age of 18.

Therefore, you are entitled to do everything an adult does.

Drinking Ages Worldwide -

16-18

Belgium, China, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Thailand.

18

Australia, Bahamas, Brazil, Czech Republic, Ireland, Mexico, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Romania, Singapore, South Africa, Sweden,United Kingdom

18-19

Canada

i would think that in the uk and new zealand, the law considers an 18 old person to be old enough to make their own decisions about whether or not to start drinking alcohol.

According to the UK Police http://www.essex.police.uk/offbeat/o_wu_11.php

AGE 16

You can drink wine or beer with a meal in a restaurant, if someone else pays.

AGE 18

You can BUY alcohol.

You can drink alcohol in a pub.

The age of majority has nothing to do with it. The age 18 was in force even when the age of Majority was 21, up until 1970, in the UK.

Source(s): I never had an age of majority party !! When I was 18, I had to wait till I was 21 for it. But when I reached 21, they did them at age 18 !!! It wasn't fair !!!
  • Mel

At 18 years old you are considered an adult, you can vote, smoke and drink.