Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Can anyone give me advice about getting abs?

I'm 19 years old, and my height is 5'8. I've been trying to work-out for abs forever, but now I am really trying to improve my diet. I only have a few extra pounds.

I am a full time student at a community college and work in retail part-time. So I don't have time for the gym, plus I'm always on a tight budget. I live on a highway, so jogging isn't safe by me. SO my work-out is limited...

Here's what my work-out plan is....

3 sets of 10 push-ups

200 crunches

4 reps. of 10 lifting a 20-25 bumbell; working my biceps..

I have nice toned arm and small biceps. My chest is getting a little more toner then before. I just have to get back into my work-out..I haven't worked-out too much recently.

I really want a 6 pack, but abs would satisfy me. Cany anyone give me advice?

Favorite Answer

an excellent exercise, you can do it in front of your TV: sit on a

stool, and put your toes under something (piece of heavy furniture,

for example). In your hands hold a little dumbbell. Please, make sure

that it is not very heavy, start with one kilo, for example, or you

will damage your back and spine! Slowly move the upper part of your

body back, until it's parallel with the ground. Stop for a second and

move it back to the sitting position. Repeat ten times. Every week add

to the number of repetitions. You will see the results in a week,

guaranteed! You will see or feel under the fat - if you have any - six

pack and muscles. Dumbbells do wonders. Much better than these crunches - I came up to three hundreds and there was no results AT ALL. With the dumbbells you will see it in a week.

• really the only ab work out is sit ups. But with sit ups there are so many variations. For your upper abs, you want to lay down hands crossed over chest or by ears, and just lift up until your ELBOWS reach your knees. For your Obliques (middle) you can either do regular sit ups, or you can to turning sit ups (turn body every time you lift up). For your lower abs, the hardest, what I have found to work the best (I have a six pack) is to lay FLAT on the ground, bring your legs up, and then slowly bring them all the way towards your chest. But when doing this exercise you want to make sure your back is completely flat. Once your back starts to arch, it means that you are using your hip flexors instead of your abs. So to make sure you don't do that, after you bring your legs to your chest and back out, only bring your legs back out a tiny bit. The more you go you can start feeling your back arch, and that is when you are not using your ab muscles anymore. So just do this every day along with your other workouts!!!

It depends. Do you do the same type of sit ups every time you workout? If so, you should try throwing in different kinds of sit ups into your workout. Develop a workout program, like the one you currently have, but change the kinds of pushups, situps, and lifting you do.

The body learns to do do each exercise more efficiently after it rebuilds what you tore down. By routinely changing it you basically confuse the body. Plus, do each exercise slow. Sleep enough and eat right as well.

Eat protein, try Crunches YouTube search Passion4Profession Abs - I've been doing it for about 2 months, got a 4 pack, lol. Best I've found.

Quit making excuses and get to the gym - if you are serious about it you can find the time. DO you think everyone you see with a nice build has less to do than you? I'm sure your community college has a place to workout before, after, or between classes.

Enjoy your treats out of the house. Pop to the ice cream parlour for the scoop of your favourite flavor, or plan a meal treat with friends over a weekend. Turning your cravings into a good adventure takes the temptation away from snacking at home.

yea- truth is, inorder to get abs, you need to watch what you eat. You more than likely have muscle in there, but if there is even a thin layer of fat over them it'll smooth it out and they wont be defined. BAsically, watch your carbs, eat whole grains, veggies & fruit (be careful w/fruit as it has sugar, just eat recomended).I promise this will work if your dedicated to a healthy, fulfilling, non-restricting diet ;)

you have to do cardio to burn fat and you need to burn the layer of fat that is on top of your abs because you already have ab muscles there is just fat covering them. You could get a jump rope and do that as long as you can a couple times a day in your apt or room where ever you workout. get a workout video and try that...

Good Luck!

Beans, beans, are good for your heart, the more you eat the more you... lose weight actually. Super-effective and full of fibre, beans will regulate your appetite and decrease the rate at which the stomach empties, meaning you stay fuller for longer.

200 crunches is excessive. Do your crunches properly and slowly and that way a set with 10-15 repetitions should wear you out quite well.