University essay writing?!

For university, do professors mainly have you write essays in class or at home/as homework? I need to know so I can decide if I need a new laptop (my current laptop only has 2 hours of battery power).

ALSO, what is the proper way to do research online? What are the right websites to use? I've been told to use college journals and things like that, but I don't know what those are? How can you tell if a website is reliable?

PLEASE HELP! :(

Favorite Answer

In class essays are generally only for exams and you will not be using a computer during exams! Most essays are to be done at home, many require library research and plenty of professors do not want 'online' resources unless you're references electronic journals which you will be able to access through your university's library/subscription with a password. Unless of course, you don't attend a proper university in which case you won't have access to journals etc. online and will be limited with your research and your education.

One way to tell if a website is reliable is the .edu, .gov, .ca etc. and looking at the name and credentials of the person publishing online.

Any in class essay is an exam and will be written in a blue book. You will have the same amount of time as everyone else. Normal essays are given as homework so you will either want to buy a computer or use the school library computers that you will be paying for in your tuition then e-mail yourself your work.

My university has a budget that they spend on electronic journals (A LOT of money) so that we can access them for research. Your university should have a website linked to their libraries where once you have a username and password you will be able to access journals and articles. You won't normally want to use no-name websites.

A critical evaluation is a judgement based on knowing the different sides of the academic arguments. So in order to 'critically' evaluate something you have to test it and then come to a conclusion about it. So if your question asked you, and I'm not a geography student, but something like 'critically evaluate the different theories relating to urban geography', then your task is to first of all decide what theory applies best to urban geography and argue WHY. You then have to present all the other theories and say WHY NOT. Always provide EVIDENCE (for example, other studies that support your stance, etc.) Remember, it's not just about your opinion, (that actually doesn't matter) but it is your opinion about another's theory/analysis/perspective, which is BACKEDUP by proper evidence. Good luck!

Here is a website that will help you with great ideas for all the college papers you will have to write.

http://collegepackage.org/