Has your trust in an internet friend ever been seriously misplace?

If so, tell us the complete story.

What makes you think YOUR trust was misplaced?

What, is anything, would you have done differently?

What, if anything, would you have done differently?

• RT 66
    Favorite Answer

There is no way I'd tell the complete story to anyone in this forum ... the fact of the matter is I have what apparently is an ability to place my trust easily until it's proven wrong. Having said that, I can say that I've had daggers thrown at me and I still couldn't tell you why ... to each his own and let them live with the consequences. I'm still a free-spirit and will continue to be the person I am until The Good Lord makes His Judgment on each of us. That aside, most of the connections I have made with the folks on the internet have been genuine and wonderful people that I would invite to my table at anytime.

I wouldn't exactly say that there was a misplacement of trust, but I can definitely say that I have been disappointed in a few members who decided to jump to conclusions without ever asking me what I meant & why I said some of the things that I posted that were not meant to offend them...yet they did & they slammed the door & locked it before taking certain things into consideration. But hey! Isn't that the way things work sometimes?...life has no guarantees & people don't either! I suppose I'm far better off with those types of people out of my life & my affairs. They have their reasons & I have mine. I don't hold any ill will toward them....but it appears that some of them still harbor resentment & contempt for me. That's their choice. I hope they overcome it in time & move on with their lives.

Well, strange as this my seem, I get this gut feeling if something is just not right. During the time I have been on Answers, this has only happened twice and I created a test to see if my gut feeling was right. One was a "lady" who seemed so sweet and loving, even though I did not share her religious beliefs, I felt that she was a good person and I let her connect to me. One day when she e-mailed me I got this gut feeling again so I sent her a picture of myself and three of my grandchildren. I have white hair, am caucasian and my three beautiful grandchildren are black. They had huge smiles on their faces and it was a great picture. From that point on she blocked me, changed her Aviator and e-mail address. In other words my gut feeling was telling me that she was prejudiced! A few months later I got the same gut feeling about a "gentleman" who was full of information that I needed regarding a health problem. He connected to me but I felt that niggling. I did the same thing to him and this time he came back at me with such racial hatred that I could not believe he had hid it so well. We have to be careful, but I always go by my instinct. Most people on Answers are wonderful, loving, kind, giving people. There are just a few who are the opposite.

I have gotten to know some wonderful folks from all over through the internet. I wouldn't do anything differently. I think you need to use good judgment with Internet relationships just as you would with folks in any other area of life. Sometimes we get it wrong, but we just have to let it go and move on.---Luvs

Yes .......... two or three times.

I don't beat myself up about it. These folk had real problems that I could not be aware of.

This is the very best forum for anyone who wants to live a lie .... face to face with these people I would have sussed them out in a heartbeat.

On here you either accept what you are being told as the truth - or you need not engage with anyone. The only fail safe that I have is the wonderful friends that I do have who watch out for me - as I do for them.

• cohan

We didnt misplace it. another automobile that appeared precisely like ours parked interior a similar parking aisle as us. We caught the significant in and it wouldnt open. We have been all pissed of questioning why while my lady buddy observed that it didnt have that bumper sticker on it. seems it became farther down the aisle.

I didn't need the internet to do that

I trusted them (yes more than one) to be faithful, kind and loving.

What if anything, would I have done differently?

Not married them!

Source(s): Life!

I've really had only one unpleasant experience with an internet friend and it could have just as easily happened with an off-line friend. Mostly, my experiences have been very positive.

Yes, which is the reason one should always be careful online. You don't really know the person beyond their words on a screen.

Yes, indeed. He wrote to me saying he wanted to be pen pals and we started communicating. He knew I was married, he said he was married. He got to the point where he didn't care if we were married or not! He's blocked.