Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Cucumbers and Onion Salad

Ok...my grandma used to make this awesome Cucumber and Onion salad that was in vinegar and oil. Does anyone have any good recipes?

Favorite Answer

OLD FASHIONED CUCUMBER ONION SALAD

1 cup water

1 cup sugar

1 cup vinegar

1 large Bermuda onion, thinly sliced

3 large cucumbers, peeled, thinly sliced

salt and fresh ground black pepper (to taste)

Mix water, sugar, and vinegar together until sugar dissolves. Add salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.

Add onion and cucumbers and refrigerate about 3 hours before serving.

When the onions and cucumbers are gone you can save the juice in the refrigerator and add more cucumbers and onions for additional servings.

Servings: 12

I haven't tried Sbarro's recipe, but it must be similar to mine: Slice cucumbers, onion, and tomatoes, season with salt and pepper then marinate in a mixture of olive oil and white wine vinegar for at least 30 minutes. It can even be refrigerated and the taste does improve after several hours of being chilled. Some middleastern countries make a similar cucumber salad, but they use fresh squeezed lemon juice in place of the vinegar. It is also an excellent salad.

My mom used to make it too, and so did I (but forgot about it!) ... Slice a cucumber with some green onions (or very thinly sliced white onions - not red because they'll "bleed") .... Mix olive oil with rice vinegar (or some white vinegar); add some sugar, salt and powdered ginger ... Mix with the cucumbers and onions and let it sit in the refrigerator for about an hour before eating

• JEN

Well if your grandma is anything like my grandma I can tell you how to make that.

The dressing is apple cider vinegar and oil in a 2:1 ratio. 1/2 cup vinegar to 1/4 cup oil. Add about 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper (pepper to your own taste). The magic ingredient is sugar! Put in about 2 tablespoons of sugar for 1/2 cup vinegar. You can add more if you are not satisfied with the flavor after stirring it very very well.

Actually, I use Splenda or Nutrasweet instead of sugar. I just add the sweetening to taste.

Just peel and slice some cukes and onions and slosh it altogether with the dressing.

I also use Cucumbers onion, tomatoes, Mushrooms, I use Olive oil a vinegar, I have used Ranch dressing and not the olive oil.

I make cucumbers, and red onions with tomatoes, and then you put oregano on it, and a little salt, and pepper. I also use Wishbone Redwine Vinegarette. It's delicious. You can use just oil and vinegar if you wish.

Source(s): Big Italian Family