Do I have to have my wireless router hooked up to any computer to get internet? Same goes for modem

I've always wondered this especially since I'm buying a new desktop with wireless internet built in and wanted to know this because with the router and modem out of the way things would be much less clutted on my desk.

I'm asking if I need to have anything connected to a main computer to get wireless internet?

Favorite Answer

Well, theoretically I don't see why it wouldn't work. But you would need to make sure that you have your modem set up some where with a wireless connection connected to it. The modem is what supplies your internet connection to your computer, so doing away with it completely isn't that good of an idea. The router isn't that important, all a router is really good for is the built in fire wall, and multi player gaming or networking. So you can do away with the router completely, but I would suggest getting another wireless connector to connect to your modem and setting the modem else where, that way you can still have wireless access and have your desk a little less cluttered.

• MH

Provided your wireless router and modem currently connect to the internet, all you need to do is to connect your new PC to the existing wireless network.

As long as you have a wireless router, the built in wireless is all you need for your new computer that you are buying.

You need to make sure you enable security. Soon I will have a video up to show people how to do that.

On my system at home the DSL modem is the only thing hard wired to the wireless router.. the desktop and laptop are wireless... printer is hardwired to the desktop....

bypass with the on the spot router... if it variety of feels to sluggish issues down, the router will many times have 4 ports interior the returned of it so as which you will plug the computing device you're playing video games on (psor xbox) immediately into the router. this type you will not might desire to run wires all over the homestead to get your mom linked, and everybody that comes over (visitors) could additionally use the relationship.

• Ian C

only thing that has to be hooked to the router is the modem