What is the best career to get into?

I'm starting college in a couple of weeks and I have no idea what career path I want to take and what to major in. Give me some ideas about a great career and what you had to do to achieve it.

Favorite Answer

The "best" career is different for everyone, and will vary greatly depending on how define the word "best". Is is money, flexible hours/telecommuting? Is it a relaxed atmosphere, or travel? Are you a history buff? Or do you just want to be able to always have a job, even in economic downturns like the current one? I am in IT. I love the autonomy I have in my job. No one micromanages. It also pays well, is not (always) tedious, and I get to work from home periodically. I went to a four-year college, got a degree, got some help with my resume and cover letter, and shopped around until I got the offer I wanted.

I don't know that this will help you, but if you're really looking for career advice you need to determine what your interests are and be honest with yourself. I like what I do, but honestly I would give anything to work outside every day. Even in the rain.

Start by getting a career assessment done to find what your strengths & weaknesses are & have an undecided major for the time being, so you can take a bunch of different courses to narrow your choice down. Talk to friends & family to see what they do.

I started as a Social Studies Education major in college.

After working with the kids, I felt I wasn't cut out to be a teacher, so I became a Geography major. Got my BA with a minor in History, but to continue in my field, I would have had to work on my Masters or PhD. I was burnt out after 17.5yrs of school & worked various jobs around home. Was balancing ATM machines in 2003 when I got laid off, so I had to work at the local Burger King to help make ends meet.

Don't know if it was growing up on BJ & the Bear & Smokey & the Bandit, but truck driving has called me from time to time. Long story short, applied to large company, sent me to their school & got sent home when I couldn't master what they wanted me to learn within 9days. They did tell me that if I went to a local school, got my CDL (commercial drivers license) & 6mo experience to reapply. Went to a local community college with a CDL program, passed the course with Certificate of Completion & a state issued CDL, hired on with a different large carrier, & haven't looked back. I'm not at home as often as I want to be, but I make $40,000+ per yr, have been to 48 out of the 50 states, made some great friends, & have learned what my limits are. Good luck!!!

Business has unlimited earning potential. If you have a specific profession and don't grow it from there, you income will be capped.